Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Would Slingerland Be Considered The "little Brother"?

Based on reviews of recently completed on-line auctions as well as current listings, and prices of kits currently being offered in local vintage music shops, it appears that the Slingerland kits from the early 60s are less valued than those manufactured by Ludwig, Rogers, and Gretsch.

Was the Slingerland brand considered inferior to other American-made kits from this time period -- a type of "little brother" to the "big boys"?

If so, why?

As players, as well as collectors, would you expect to pay less for a comparable Slingerland Kit from the 60s, than a Ludwig, Rogers or Gretsch kit?

Are there any Slingerland finishes from this period that are actually considered "more valuable" than others?

As usual, all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your time!Help2

Posted on 16 years ago

As players, as well as collectors, would you expect to pay less for a comparable Slingerland Kit from the 60s, than a Ludwig, Rogers or Gretsch kit?

Quick answer is yes - this may be fortunate or unfortunate, depending on whether you are a buyer or a seller.

I think the main factor is that no one in the Beatles ever played a Slingerland drum set. And Rogers was considered top of the line in the 60's and not all could afford them.

I've handled many more 60's Ludwig kits than Slingerland, but have liked the Slingerlands just as much for the most part. I don't particularly like the Set-o-matic tom mount, but I think the shells were of comparable (if not better in some years) than Ludwig. They have just never had the cachet that attracts the collectors, except in the especially rare finishes. These include the veiled finishes, among others. I particularly like Slingerland's dark sparkling blue pearl, but have never convinced myself to chase a kit in this color.

There are some especially knowledgeable Slingerland fans around here that will chime in - for the most part, the sound is there and the money is not. I'd like to think the money will follow the sound eventually, but that might not be the case.

Herb

Posted on 16 years ago

Herb:

Appreciate your input.

Two questions, if I may:

1. How does Gretsch fit into the picture? I've noticed that Gretsch Kits seem to bring a significant amount of cash when sold on the net. What's the attraction there?; and

2. Does the "CMU" stand for Central Michigan University, by any chance?

Posted on 16 years ago

Gretsch snare drums also command high dollar, and mostly I hear they sound like hitting mashed potatoes. I dunno if thats true, but .... they are collectable.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Some of the big jazzers played gretsch (Max Roach).

Posted on 16 years ago

Until the Beatles hit, Slingerland was the #1 seller, then they were #2. I think a reason that their price is lower on the vintage market is that they're more readily available than the other brands, other than Ludwig. Because of the Ringo and other major rock acts of the '60s and '70s, Ludwig commands good prices even though they're plentiful.

In their day, Slingerland was considered top of the line...not a little brother to Ludwig or Gretsch. They took over from Leedy in the 1930s (Gene Krupa) and were the largest seller until the mid '60s.

Slingerland was the most adventurous with finishes, many lasted only a few years, so the odd colors are more sought after.

Rogers was always more expensive than the others, and many drummers felt they were elite. (Among the '60s brands, they probably are the best made structurally.)

Gretsch had popularity among jazz drummers, possibly because of their proximity to NYC. They seemed to have the most problems with hardware, so unmolested sets bring a premium, as many drummers had to modify tom mounts, spurs, etc.

Camco was always a small, boutique company, hence their rarity.

Posted on 16 years ago

As a boy of 12 or 13 in 1967/68, I was sitting in a small club called Lennie's in Peabody, Ma w/ my father at a Sunday matinee. Buddy Rich was on the bill. Several dignitaries including Armand Zildjian and some Red Sox players were being introduced in the audience, they announced the Slingerland rep, it may even have been Bud Jr, Buddy said over the mic,"Second Class Junk". He was using Slingerlands at that show and was obviously being his wise a__ self.

Posted on 16 years ago

As a boy of 12 or 13 in 1967/68, I was sitting in a small club called Lennie's in Peabody, Ma w/ my father at a Sunday matinee. Buddy Rich was on the bill. Several dignitaries including Armand Zildjian and some Red Sox players were being introduced in the audience, they announced the Slingerland rep, it may even have been Bud Jr, Buddy said over the mic,"Second Class Junk". He was using Slingerlands at that show and was obviously being his wise a__ self.

Posted on 16 years ago

The Oldsmobile curse... maybe?

Slingerland was THE drum company for so many years.. but in the 60's any thing that was different than the establishment was the thing to have.

If Slingerland could have played up Krupa as the original beatnik drummer getting picked on by the "Man" for smoking a little weed... maybe my generation would have gravitated to that drum company with a little more vigor in the late 60's early 70's.guitar2

So using muscle cars as an analogy... if you asked somebody today whether they want a 69' OLDS 442 or 69' Z28 Camaro ... well my bet is they pick the Camaro because Chevy more successfully transited the generation gap in the 60's.Car Driving2

Wow that's convoluted... but I'm still posting it.Walking

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

They can keep on being the "little brother" as far as I am concerned....that way I can keep on affording to play them! I saw a late 50's -early 60's Black and Gold Chicago Badge 3 piece on Craig's List in Metro Detroit this week for $450....wish I had an extra $450 right now, but that would make 3 Slingerland Kits, plus the Gretsches and DW's.....my wife would have my boys in a sling!Hurting

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here