Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Worth Considering Or Not?

As of this date, I've tried to keep my collecting to AMERICAN-MADE vintage drums and kits, although a non-American piece has "snuck in" now and then.

In the near future I might have the opportunity to purchase or trade for a vintage Trixon Luxus Kit with matching snare in its original Red Pearl wrap (20-12-16-14). The over-all condition of the kit, both functionally and cosmetically, is quite sound, despite some surface rust on some of the hardware.

Since I'm not all that familiar with this particular brand, I'm trying to get a feel for what type of vintage American-made kit might be considered "comparable value" for a possible trade, should I decide to go that route. If anyone out there knows what might be considered "fair market value" for this particular kit, that would also be quite helpful.

My intent is to determine whether or not I should consider this kit a good investment from a collectible aspect. In other words, would most vintage drum collectors have an interest in a kit like this due to its rarity or would it just be considered a "novelty item?" Do you believe its current value would increase through the years, stay "as is", or decrease?

Another issue I've been concerned with is the availability or lack thereof of replacement hardware, should it become necessary.

As usual, any and all feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posted on 15 years ago

Oh man...I'm gonna catch heck for this one...but...

THESE ARE NOT SONOR BEECH SHELLS...and sound nothing like 'em.

So, they are Beech drums, but they definitely have a different look. They are not known for their sound. Honestly - kinda flat sounding.

Go to

http://www.trixondrums.de/trixon/trixon.htm

to hear some sound files, if you like.

Because of the lack in sound, I focus on the looks.

Trixon Luxus are just regular shaped normal German Beech drums. They are middle of the road to me. Nothing spectacular.

Trixon Telstar are something special. They are conical drums that cannot be ignored. They are cool looking and very very retro. When you see a kit, you have to smile. I always think of The Jetsons when I see 'em.

Trixon Speedfire are the drums that were left out in the sun too long and oozed and melted a bit. Just can't make myself like 'em.

So, honestly this kit wouldn't do much for me. I can't imagine I would trade for a Luxus kit. The sound won't sell me. The looks won't sell me. The hardware is very hard to locate for replacement. I'm in the minority on this one, I would imagine.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here