Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Worth Chasing?

I've always found the Slingerland Capri Pearl wrap (1958-1963) extremely unique. Recently I've considered putting together a kit in this particular finish. However, I've got several concerns I'm hoping some of you Slingerland "experts" out there might be able to help me with:

1. Although I currently own a Slingerland snare in this finish and have seen the rack tom and bass drum being offered every now and then I don't recall seeing the floor tom being offered as a "stand-alone" item in the recent past. Do you believe this would be a major "issue" in putting a kit together or are the floor toms out there and I've just missed them?

2. I've also been told that there are several variations of this finish --some with more gold threads than others; some with larger white flecks than others; and some with more of a purplish tint than the others. Anyone know if one variation was more readily available than the others?

3. Does this wrap "fade" as do other vintage wraps or is it a totally different beast due to its unique characteristics?

4. Do you believe that a 4-piece kit in this wrap could be "piece-mealed" together at a reasonable price, without having to "break the (piggy) bank"?

Any additional information, comments, recommendations and/or opinions regarding this wrap would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if I'm chasing something that simply isn't worth chasing.

As usual, THANKS for your time and your help!D' Drummer

Posted on 14 years ago

1. Yes

2 Nope, it is all over the place.

3. Hard to tell with the dark color, but it does change.

4. Trying to match all of the drums will be a challenge.

5. I have a snare as pictured. Most of the parts are long gone! Actually they went back to the original drum they came from. So I have a 3-ply Radio King in that finish missing the parts!

I had your dream once.......

David

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Jaye has one he pieced together...finally...and it is SWEET!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I've always like the capri wrap, too. It reminds me of Roger's Mardi Gras.

Due to the rarity and high price of the mardi gras color, I'm slowly gathering

information on reproducing this pattern, using confetti found at local party

stores. I'm not going to try to sell this completed project to anyone, but

rather challanging myself to see if I can do this. I agree that it's going to

be hard to find "matching" patterns of the capri wrap out there, especially

given the era of this color. Good luck, though!!

Posted on 14 years ago

I just noticed that an 8x12 Capri Pearl rack tom just sold on e-Bay for $185.

The 22 inch bass drum in a Capri Pearl wrap being offered by the same seller with a starting price of $150 didn't draw any interest. Any ideas why?Hmmmm

Posted on 14 years ago

I had a capri set once, missing the floor toms. It took a while, but over time I found a few floor toms. Only one of them matched perfectly.

I've seen other solo floor toms since.

I think it would be better finding a complete set, or at least a set missing the snare, and then getting the matching snare.

The wrap tends to split over time, so check carefully when you find them.

It IS a totally cool finish. The mardi gras and fiesta will be harder to find.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've attached three pics of the Capri snare I currently own. The final two pics are of the Capri bass drum that I'm considering.

Based on the comments I've received (THANK YOU everybody!), I think that my chances of finding an affordable complete kit in this wrap would be slim and none. However, since the bass drum I'm looking at has non-original black lacquer hoops installed, I was thinking of putting together a kit that would consist of my current Capri snare, the Capri bass drum shown in the last two pics and two vintage Slingerland toms wrapped in a solid gloss black finish to match the hoops on the bass drum.

How closely the Capri Pearl wrap on my snare matches that on the bass drum is questionable without seeing them together "up close and personal". From my pics the "white flecks" on it appear much larger than those on the bass drum. The listing for the bass drum stated that it has "more gold threads" than most. However, I honestly don't know if it would make that much of a difference anyway since these two pieces sit perpendicular to eachother when the kit's set up for playing.

Any thoughts (positive or negative) on how a kit consisting of the two pieces shown in the pics and two vintage Slingerland toms in a Solid Gloss Black finish might look would be GREATLY appreciated. I promised the owner of the Capri bass drum that I'd provide an ansewer today as to whether I'd be purchasing it or not so feel free to provide any and all "words of wisdom".

THANKS!Help2

Posted on 14 years ago

there is a capri snare drum on ebay right now ends today 1/31/10 it is at $427.00 right now!!!! item #380201231668

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

THANKS for the "heads up"!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here