Thanks for everyone’s comments on my Aluminum Badge RK! Your feedback actually encouraged me to set up another kit with that snare drum and play for a while… the RK had maintained its tuning and sounded great!

I gave this next item a sound check as well: a 12 X 15 Ludwig marching snare in gold sparkle (I was sure to double-check the Depth X Diameter spec – lol… and it needs a tune-up.). Another rescue – I saw this one at a local antique mall. It had suffered the indignity of having been pressed into service as a “wastebasket on wheels” – someone had actually cut a round piece of plywood, secured it against the bottom edge with the snare hoop and attached three small casters. It was missing everything except “most” of the lugs (one absent) and hoops & rods. When I got it apart I discovered two more lugs with the bosses broken off, hanging on to the shell literally by a thread. I don’t think the hoops are original – the batter hoop looks like a sticksaver (batter edge curls inward).

I installed these replacement parts: three Ludwig P2249D lugs, a P-86 strainer (I have a P-85 if I want it to be more original), P-32 butt, Puresound Custom wires (not as many choices out there for 15”), and Evans Onyx coated batter and Hazy 300 snare side heads. I had an extra rod & washer that were missing. I have not replaced the muffler – I filled the holes in the shell with the knob and the screw from a P40662 muffler that is not correct for this drum… the hole sizes in the shell are a clear indication of what goes where, and the P40662 has the knob and screw positions inverted from what is required (it appears to not be adaptable… what is the correct muffler part #?). I found a B/O replica badge and I need to do a better job of installing it. A cut down a cheap snare stand allows me to set this drum up with a kit.