Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Woodstock's 40th!!

Just thought I'd throw this in being the 40th anniversary of Woodstock.

I always remember some of the great performances and drummers there. I was born a few years later and my only memory is watching it on TV.

Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon and Michael Shrieve are standouts of course, especially Shrieve's drum solo on Santana's "Soul Sacrifice". Amazing considering he was only 19.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko[/ame]

Posted on 15 years ago

When the Woodstock movie came out it blew our minds. I was 12 and too young to go to the real thing.

The Who, Joe Cocker, Ten Years After and Santana really blew our minds. It's too bad Leslie West's playing didn't make the movie.

And what can you say about Hendrix?

But the thing that knocked me and my bandmates out the most was Sly - what the hell was it???

I didn't know what it was, and it sure wasn't rock... but I knew that it was the kind of music that I wanted to do. Man did it hit a nerve, and it wasn't until the funk thing happened maybe around '75 with the Brothers Johnson, Average White Band, P-Funk and Earth,Wind and Fire that it all came into place.

It's funny that Sly isn't really known that much today, but he influenced Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock, and not too many people can say that!

Posted on 15 years ago

Please don't beat me, but that wasn't Michael Shrieve drumming back there. It looks like him, but it wasn't. I read an interview with Shrieve and he cleared that up. Shocked the snot out of me. I still have a hard time believing it. But I figured...it was him that said it wasn't him...or something like that.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

Please don't beat me, but that wasn't Michael Shrieve drumming back there. It looks like him, but it wasn't. I read an interview with Shrieve and he cleared that up. Shocked the snot out of me. I still have a hard time believing it. But I figured...it was him that said it wasn't him...or something like that.

huh?

Did he mean that the other percussionists were playing and they should get the credit not him?

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

I'm a pacifist, so no beatings :). But the guy playing drums with Santana in that video is definitely Michael Shrieve. Check here:

http://www.michaelshrieve.com/

Lots of photos and details confirming it.

He was the youngest performer at Woodstock - actually 20 (not 19) at the time.

Scott

Posted on 15 years ago

How come, when Carlos made his so-called "comeback", (when did he leave?) why didn't he do drum heavy stuff like this? That's the main thing we liked him for.

I wanna know how many rock drummers today would have the guts to go on a stage in front of 300K people and have their ride on a 1400 stand?

Posted on 15 years ago

The interview was in Modern Drummer (I think) and he had stated that it wasn't him on the kit and that it was a guy that looked remarkably like him. It was a cover story, if I remember correctly. I don't save those, nor do I subscribe anymore. Maybe he was doing a tongue in cheek thing and I bit down on it...hook, line, and sinker. I guess I didn't catch the humor. Still don't. I remember reading that interview and going back to look at that video again and again. I just couldn't believe it. I'm the decades most easy mark, for sure. I wish I still had the interview. It was a definite shocker. I guess I don't need to be shocked anymore. I read the RnR HoF speech and he states there that he played. Strange times, for sure.

Posted on 15 years ago

MICHAEL SHRIEVE, SANTANA DRUMMER: The size of the crowd was so big, it was like standing on the beach and looking at the ocean, and you see the water and the horizon and sky. It was a sea of people as far as you could see. We were like a little street gang there making music together and hoping that it went over. But when I look at the drum solo I took, it drives me crazy because of some choices that I made, in terms of stopping the groove and going really soft. But for the audience it worked. It was very tribal.

And... he wasn't that happy with the way he played it.. I should be half so unhappy. ;)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

From MastroSnare

How come, when Carlos made his so-called "comeback", (when did he leave?) [HTML]why didn't he do drum heavy stuff like this? [/HTML] That's the main thing we liked him for.I wanna know how many rock drummers today would have the guts to go on a stage in front of 300K people and have their ride on a 1400 stand?

Maybe he wanted to focus on HIS instrumentals and not the drums?

Maybe "we" liked him for the early, drum heavy stuff because "we" are on a drum forum and could be slightly biased?

Maybe on guitar forums they are discussing why Carlos had such drum heavy stuff early on and when he made his comeback finally got it right with the axe?

Just a thought.Eye Ball

Car Driving2D' DrummerCool1

drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

Interesting points. Carlos put his group together as a drum heavy unit because that's what was in him at the time. It was tribal. It was earthen. It was DEEPLY spiritual and Latin. That's who he was. He's grown and changed, like we all do. He definitely cleansed the sound of his group. You either like it or you don't. I don't, but that's me. Personally, I couldn't stand that Rob song...the goofy tune he won the grammy for off that album he won the grammy for. (no, I did not miss the irony there) It's just too accessible. There was no risk. No risk at all. He began the group and manned it with risk takers...as was pointed out. He no longer walks those roads.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here