Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Wooden Mallet?

Please excuse my naivete. This is the first time I have ventured outside of my MIJ domain. I recently purchased a Ludwig Speed King foot pedal with a wooden mallet. Following directions obtained here, I greased and polished this beauty until it glimmered. It was fast but, to be honest, I didn't like the "wooden" sound on the bass. I've seen other mallets which were not made of wood. Is the wooden type older? Which do you gentlemen prefer? Perhaps I have not adjusted the tension properly. Thank you in advance.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

I've used a cotton beater (I 'think' it's cotton,) on my speed kings for more than four decades. Wood beater has way too much attack for my liking. Beats the hell out of the heads too.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Wood beaters are harsh-sounding. It's a definitive sound that some might like; kind of like wood tip vs. nylon tip sticks. I like felt and wood (there's the open door).

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 12 years ago

Felt beater! There ya go. Thanks Bill...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

What I have seen some players do to address the attack and wear and tear on drum heads issue is to take a belt sander and flatten out a section of the wood beater providing more surface area for the striking part of the beater, Also I find that you need a patch on the bass drum head either made from felt or leather to strike up against, takes away that harshness and focuses the attack angle for a super thud. Awesome if you dig that kind a thing, but my best advice is to simply tweak it up a bit and get it to sound the way you like it. Stop worrying about what everything looks like and go by sound only. If a piece of gaff tape works then so be it. Experiment, and have fun. Regards.

Glen

Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you, gentleman! I will experiment on this old beater but, I think that I'll go back to the softer version. I tend to agree with John although Glen's advice is also very well taken! Thanks again, guys.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

I've never liked that style myself...short in the front & long in the back...always makes me think of Joe Dirt!....huh, oh you said Mallet, not Mullet...never mind! DOH

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago

[QUOTE=fungus amungus;147782]I've never liked that style myself...short in the front & long in the back...always makes me think of Joe Dirt!....huh, oh you said Mallet, not Mullet..[Quote]

HA phuckin' HA!!! I used to do this blog addition called "The Adventures Of MullettMan"...it was a huge hit on the old Yahoo 360!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here