Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Wood veneer to look like Mahogany Duroplastic/Tiger's Eye

For those that are trying to restore their Premier Mahogany Duroplastic and Pearl Tiger's Eye wrap kits ...

How difficult would it be to match a wood veneer wrap to the following Mahogany Duroplastic wrap samples below? Would this be cost prohibited?

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

I dont know if its the picture or just my old eyes but that does not look like mahogany. But I think it can be matched. You would want to contact a veneer supplier and get some samples and play around with different stains and finishes to get the color down. Once you decide on a species and a stain (if needed) then it would have to be proffessionaly finished to achive the plastic look, your not going to do it with a paint brush or aresol can.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

I agree it doesn't look like mahogany, but that's what Premier called this style of wrap. It was available from the late 50's up until the late 70's.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/premier_finishes.html

It might not look good in a picture or catalog, but when you see it in person it looks very cool. You can really see the depth, which makes this wrap pop. The wrap was oriented so the fake grain ran diagonally, which is a unique concept.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showpost.php?p=227875&postcount=2

I'm in search of a reasonably priced floor tom to go with my tom and bass drum. I thought a veneer wrap might be able to achieve a close result.

- Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Oh Il bet it does look very cool in person. I would say your mighr come close to a match for your floor tom but the best would be to find an actual floor tom with the fake wood wrap. Its just so hard to duplicate something by using material which is different from the original.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

I have seen Mahogany with a similar figure to that plastic wrap in the past (not a veneer though, I really didn't use veneer other than black walnut in between neck laminations).

I want to say "lace mahogany" but that might not be the right term since I have a few boards of English Lacewood has a look quite different than that.

BUT, the point is, once you have a good high-gloss finish on it, it would dance in the light like fiddleback maple does, with that long, stringy looking figure. Absolutely beautiful if finished correctly to capitalize on that.

Zebrawood might be an option, particularly with the right tint to make the whiter stripes a bit more brown... Either way, it will never be an exact match. And Zebrawood does not have that 3-D, dance in the light look either. Your best bet is to find another drum and scavenge the wrap from that I think.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here