Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Wood hoops

Anyone ever play a kit where the toms have wood hoops as well as the bass drum, like Levon Helm's kit with the Band? Any noticeable change in tone or playing ability? I'm considering this option for my new Leedy & Ludwig project. The COB stickchopper hoops on the 15" are a bit worse for wear, besides the bottom being a snare hoop, and I have yet to find reproduction replacements, and I'm not sure if I want to convert to a single flange type vintage repro hoop.....thinking wood hoops may be an option. And to clarify, they would be of the traditional wood hoop variety, not the newer Precision/Yamaha type low profile wood hoops. I am going for a vintage look as well, so those would be out.

Opinion?Help2

Posted on 15 years ago

I think it's a very cool idea, both from a sonic and visual perspective.

Chick Webb, Sonny Greer and a bunch of old time drummers had toms like that. I had a Ludwig field drum like that and I really liked it. On that drum, the hoops were a little high so I can imagine some instances where you'd want to cut them down - they don't really need to be that wide, and inch really would do it I think.

There's probably lots of unused hardware from marching drums around you could find to do such a conversion.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here