Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Wood hoop back to true

I had a Gretsch marching snare arrive some time back with a badly warped wood hoop. We had some discussion here as to a method of repair, and this is what I eventually did. The hoop is maple-ply, 14 inch,and needed to be soaked in hot water until pliable enough to be fit onto some kind of form to hopefully bring it back to true. And the form I eventually landed on is a needlepoint hoop. I found some at the local hobby store, one size was 14 inches. So, I soaked the snare hoop in very hot water in a big stainless mixing bowl, with another inverted on top to keep in the heat, long enough for the hoop to become slightly bendable, then fit it onto the needlepoint hoop. It fit so tightly, that no clamps were needed. I lined up one edge of each hoop, and set it on a flat surface to check for true, and it looked OK. I let it dry for two days and separated the two... It's now installed on the Gretsch. Now, this is the only time I have ever done this, so it may be a total stroke of luck, but in this case, the hoop was not usable in it's condition, so I had nothing to lose.

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Very cool experiment, Kevlar. I would have never thought of that one. Nicely done.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks, man!! .... Keep on Pl

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Glad it worked out for you.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's a pretty cool solution...did it bring it all the way back to true/plumb ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

That is great. I believe there are some soaking solutions which boat-builders use as well.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yep, the measurements match across the hoop and it sits flat. After soaking for a bit, it was already trying to go back to true, and the needlepoint hoop was perfectly round and flat, so I guess that was all the help it needed...

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here