Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

WMP Wrap Questions

hey guys, good morning from Texas.

I have used a lot of the Novus 1, 2, and 3. I stand by that stuff and think it is the coolest thing sence sliced bread. But, I recently bought a 70's Slingerland kit in Whit Marine Pearl. It has a lot of bad spots on the wrap that are yellow. In some places the wrap looks good and in some places it is yellower than pee. IT SUCKS. I dont want to re-wrap the kit.

has anyone found a way to get yellow?

In one section I did the un-thinkable and experimented. I got some real fine sand paper and lightly scrubed in one little square inch part. It worked a little, but I think if i keep doing it, i will loose the Glossy shine of the wrap.

What do you guys think?

Posted on 12 years ago

any advise?

Posted on 12 years ago

LandenLarry!...

I think the issue with lack of response may be that this topic has been discussed so many times over the years that, well... you know. With that statement out of the way,

ALL I own for drums is WMP... ( COB, COS, COF where applicable of course! ) .. and I have indeed perfected a "whitening/lightening process" that works AMAZINGLY well. Not a polishing or cleaning, but whitening/lightening of vintage WMP. HOWEVER!... the process is not for the timid as there is REAL RISK of damaging the wrap if an error is made. And yes, I have used the method on a couple drums with excellent results, but then stepped back to ponder: Is it really worth it? I determined that it isn't... because again ... it is RISKY, labor intensive, and there is a small learning curve if you will. So... with all THAT said:

Contact me through the PM system on our fine vintage drum forum, and we can go from there if you are still interested. Oh!, before I forget: YES!... you will indeed have to restore the gloss to the wrap after this procedure.. ( or any other procedure where you remove some of the top layer of the WMP ) .. and that opens a whole 'nother can of beans... or is it worms? LOL!! Still, it can be done, and with excellent results if one has the time and the fortitude. Here are a couple pics of my results, before and after on a 1949/50 WFL 3X13 Buddy Rich Be-bop.

Tommyp

Posted on 12 years ago

TOMMY, YOU HAVE ANOTHER PM, DON'T WORRY I'M NOT ASKING YOU TO SELL ME ONE OF YOUR SNARES, LOL..............I WANT TO KNOW THE SECRET, HAVE A COUPLE OF SNARES I WANT TO TRY THIS ON. SPEAK MASTER!!!Jump For Joy

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

That is amazing, I will definatly shoot you a pm. I am not sure if I will proceed with my kit, but I might, those results are amazing

Posted on 12 years ago

Tommy Is The Master, His Words Are Found In The Drum Bible

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here