Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Wilson Bros. Drums?

Hey there forum - Does anybody know anything about Wilson Brothers Drums? I know they were made in Chicago way back in the 20's, but that's about it.

Quality, sound, value? I have a chance to score a kick and snare (from the 20's) with a Leedy 12" side tom. Just wondering if it's worth looking into?

Thanks!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

No. But I am familiar with the Wilson Sisters. Actually, I think the Wilson Bros. were a smaller group that put instruments together. I don't know much at all about them. Just that I've heard of them. Sorry. Some of these other guys are seriously deeper than me. They will most likely assist. Can I ask "why"? If you have a chance to score some, do you have pics or soundfiles? What's the asking?

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow... 46 views and one reply. Okay, so they are rare then - LOL!!!

Pics are small and blurry. Kit consists of a Wilson Bros. Kick and Snare (both wood) and a Leedy tom (converted from a marching drum). They appear to match in color and are "playable" according to the owner. Few missing parts on the tom, but the kick and snare are complete.

The owner guesses that they are from the 1920's and the look/hardware seems to agree with that, from what I can see in the small, blurry pictures.

Asking price is $200.00 - I'm thinking more like $100.00 - $150.00 unless the drums are really in superb condition.

Posted on 15 years ago

Get a nice close look at 'em. If the shells look good, you really can't go wrong in the 100-200 range. We would love some pics of these. Good job locating them.

Posted on 15 years ago

Pic is terrible, but here it is.

[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1830/wilsonbros.jpg[/IMG]

Dark too... hard to tell much from the pic. Might go and see them in person. The owner doesn't volunteer much info when asked.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Big Daddy,

There is a mention of the Wilson Bros Company in 'George Way's little black book' or whatever it's called that Rob Cook published way back when. I can look it up if you want. My understanding is that they were a contemporary of Ludwig briefly in the 1910s or so. I don't think that they were as well made as Ludwigs, Leedys, Duplex, etc however. Not sure how playable these would be by modern standards but they might make cool collector pieces - especially if they are complete. Keep us posted!

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago

I take that back, it's in the Slingerland Book quoting George Way from a 1932 business proposal. Here goes:

"The Wilson Drum Company of Chicago went out of business in 1928. Mr Wilson was formerly a workman for the old Lyon and Healy drum department, which he bought out about 1915. Lack of original ideas and business ability was the cause of final failure. However, in 1926 his business undoubtedly totaled $50,000 to $60,000."

Guess that at least places any Wilson drum between about 1915 - 1926. Cool stuff!

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for that info Lee. I haven't gone to see the drums yet, been busy. If they are still around, I might try and get a peek next week.

I'm into players drums, not museum pieces, so if they can't be gigged or even used for recording, I'll likely pass on them. No room in my house for "Displays"!!

Posted on 15 years ago

I would guess that they are solid steam bent shells, don't think they were doing plys back then??? That kick is probably a marching drum. They probably sound great.

Posted on 15 years ago

Look carefully at the "roundness" of the shells. Some of these worked themselves out of round through the years. Single ply in the early days ... you have to watch. Some were better than others. Again, look closely at that.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here