Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Why keep the bearing edges bare wood?

Hey Tommy P, I just have one more question about Re-Lacquering the interior of my Slingerland snare. If I want to keep my snare period correct, for this case a Slingerland 3-Ply Artist snare from the Mid 1970's, I should most likely give the top and bottom bearing edges one thin coat of lacquer? This is what Slingerland did when they made this 3-ply Artist snare during the mid 70's. Or should I keep the top and bottom bearing edges of the shell bare wood? I am not sure what to do. The bearing edges-top and bottom-on my Slingerland 3-Ply Artist are good but not that great, they are not 100% perfect. They are a little uneven, Rob Kampa from Magstar Drums inspected this Slingerland Snare of mine, and he mentioned how bad the edges were and that I should have them recut. But I checked the top and bottom edges myself using the flat surface-light source inside the shell technique and the edges are not perfect, but it looks exceptable to me. Any ideas or advice would help. Thanks again. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, I know Rob Kampa does excellent edge work (probably the best in the country, in my opinion), but I wouldn't recommend doing that for an antique or otherwise collectible drum.

None of my vintage drums have "perfect" edges...and I wouldn't change a thing about any of them! But, I do also play a Magstar drum set that was modeled as close as possible to a Ludwig Jazzette as modern manufacturing methods would allow. Rob said that he even had to buy a special router bit to cut the vintage edge profile the "old" way...but he also added a bit of his own magic to the profile of those edges and I must say that the drums "sing" like no vintage Ludwig kit I have ever heard...so edge profiles definitely have aneffect on the sound...meaning "vintage" verses "modern" sounding. I find that most vintage drums with less-than-perfect edges have a sound related to their inaccuracies. Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

If bearing edges are not perfect in terms of thickness and flatness then even tension on all lugs will produce different pitches at each tension point. You can compensate for this by ear by tapping lightly at each tension rod on the head and adjusting so that the pitches match. This is time consuming but worth the effort.

Well cut edges make the toms sing, a la the Steve Gadd drum sound. I agree that cutting edges is frowned upon by purists but it will noticeably improve the sound if the old edges were imperfect. I've done this on my drums, I'm never selling them and they sound even better.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here