Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Why are those Ludwig cymbal L-arms so hard to find?

Hello,

I recently got a 70s (possibly) pink strata pearl standard kit (W/o snare) and my bass drum has the mount for the ride cymbal L-arm. I always have found these to be so cool and useful as far as space goes when packing up your stuff. However, they are so hard to find! When I do find one , on ebay, its like 90 bucks! Is that the going rate? Can I like canabalize some cheap tama stand or something? haha what are your thoughts?

Posted on 17 years ago

Here is a non-Ludwig, non-vintage solution.

Click me

I'm ordering one myself as I've been thinking the same thing - Why so expensive?????

$49.50 USD!!!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

heyy well thats better than 90! Thanks! But I guess my point was...even 50 dollars when I think about it just seems crazy for a metal rod. I dunno maybe Im stuck in like a 70s-price mindset haha--even though im 20

Posted on 17 years ago

They cost that much (and MUCH more!) because oftentimes, those are the little details that complete a "correct" restoration. I have seen those cymbal arms (complete) go for $150.00!!! if they are in excellent condition. These arms were kind of "abandoned" in the 70's when heavier players needed something that wouldn't flop over and smash their ride cymbals...so they took those arms off, put them in a box somewhere and forgot them. Now, sometimes, those arms appear on Ebay and they are in mint shape because they never got used!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I see--So, would you say that for a heavy handed rock drummer those L-arms tend to fail? Maybe I shouldnt get one haha--didnt bonham use one? By the way, theres one on ebay now for 50 bucks ending in 2 hrs and Im the high bidder. Its a real one. My max bid is only 49, Im telling you this because today I slightly messed by car up and need money for that haha.

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, I'm not sure what Bonham did as far as cymbal arms and stuff, but I imagine that totally cranking down on them might make them stable enough for a little use...but bass drum mounted cymbal arms kind of went by the wayside for awhile with the advent of heavier players back in the 70's....so much so, in fact, that by the mid-70's, most stands became heavy, double-braced models that wouldn't tip over in a tornado!

I wouldn't trust a really nice, old ride cymbal to one of those stands if I was still playing really forcefully. I play very lightly, now, though...so a bass drum mounted cymbal arm is just fine -great for close-in positioning. The right tool for the right job.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here