Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Why are Slingerlands losing value?

I have noticed a trend growing over the last few years of collecting vintage drums that I can't explain, and I don't understand.

It seems Slingerland drums keep getting lower in value, and go for less and less money on ebay.

Here is a perfect example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1960s-3pc-Slingerland-WMP-Drum-Set-Kit-COB_W0QQitemZ250300230706QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250300230706&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If I had the space and didn't already have a Slingerland WMP kit, I would be all over that! In my opionion that kit shoud easily go for over $1000. I recently sold a 1960's Blue Sparkle Ludwig for over $1000, and it was nowhere as nice as this kit. And just for the record, I am not trying to hype up my or a freinds auction. I have no clue who that seller is.

I own 2 slingerland kits and 3 snares, and I think they are equal to if not better than any of the other major US brands in quality, sound, and looks.

I will soon be selling my 1960's COB Gene Krupa Sound King, and I know I won't even get close to $300. Yet an equal drum from one of the other major brands would easily fetch $300 or over.

It seems like the only Slingerland's holding their value are the Radio Kings.

So anyone have any insight into this? Maybe it is just my imagination.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 15 years ago

First... in reading that description and looking at those pictures there are a few things wrong with that kit that could make it a project kit. I mean he says the WMP doesn't look very good... so that leads to some other questions in my mind at least.

Second... I just don't think people have as much money to spend on anything right now... and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I'll agree with Jim about the economy and it's effect on price/value. Also, there have been, from what I have seen a lot of "forgeries" when it comes to drums. Kits are parted out by the seller because he can make more money selling to the restorer who is hard pressed to find that one last part to complete a snare or other drum.

Add the asian knock-off parts in the mix, which can be hard to tell from the original sometimes. A person can get shells cheap, wrap cheap and collect enough parts for a 3 or 4 piece kit and slap on a few Slingy badges (these too can be forged) and sell it to someone who doesn't know any better.

Unless you've owned a real Slingy kit and have spent time cleaning, taking it apart and generally poking about the kit, as most drummers do from time to time, you would never know the difference between a real Slingerland kit of one that was made from parts in someones garage.

I've seen this with other brands as well, Gretsch being the worst of it all.

People are slowly getting wise to the forgeries out for sale.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hello, I don't post very often, but I agree with PK Drums. I've been dealing vintage drums for the past several years and have wondered the same thing. I feel Slingerland is as good (or better quality in some cases) than some other US Drums that sell for a lot more but I never know what a Slingerland Kit will bring. On the flip side I have got a lot of great Slingerland kits for cheap.

I'm the guy selling this kit btw and can assure everyone they are all original Slingerland drums. It's a great kit.

I do not know PK Drums just thought he brought up a good point.

Thanks,

SBT

Posted on 15 years ago

SBT.. let me compliment you on your honesty about the WMP.. In the pictures it looks perfect and you could easily say they are perfect.

I just hate ebay fights over truthfulness of condition and with vintage drums it sure can be an issue.

Best of luck on your auction... hopefully the good karma of honesty will bode well for the price!Clapping Happy2

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

A few years ago I was really desperate for cash and I was going to try and sell my 66 Slingerlands, I talked to a collector about their value and decided to keep them. In hindsight I am glad they weren't worth what they should be, I would have lost the best sounding kit I ever had.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hello, would like to throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. Just purchased a Slingerland tom off ebay and will tell you the picture of it looked better then what I purchased. On the subject of slingerland can anyone tell me when the internal muffler ceased on these drums?..thanks...John

Posted on 15 years ago

PK you might be right about the kits. Times are tough. I'm no collector but as far as I can tell these seem to be the one exception.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here