Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Who made these? Solve mystery Please!

I just bought this set, 20"kick, 14"snare, 13"tom. I thought they were a variation of Star drums from Japan, but they are not. Mahogany shells with reinforcement rings. The strainer is internal and comes out through a slot in the snare shell. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. band3

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Hey, Roland,

Those are beautiful drum but, I have to agree with you. I have never seen Stars with a strainer like that! Somebody will eventually come forth with some info. Thanks for sharing.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

I believe those are early 60's Pearl-built drums. Do the spurs have the same clamping hardware as the cymbal mount?

Posted on 8 years ago

My guess would be

the spurs originally had sort of a cool looking curved one-sided wing bolt

as for the snare I have one like that but it has no badge

The T rods on the bass drum have a more noticeable seam from the casting running along the center of the faucet handle and are much more brittle than the Star made look a likes. I have several on this badly neglected kit that are either broken on one side

or separated from the threaded rod portion completely

The cymbal bracket deluxe compared to most

is one of those hardware pieces that may have been used by at least two of the separate makers

My guess on that kit is early Hoshino which has been my assumption thus far with mine

or maybe Pearl but definitely not Star

congrats on a great find roland Good luck with them

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Oh see - this is one of " Those " - So lets assume this was made by Hoshino ( not Star, the other ) early on. Is it possible that they are the ones who sold those " Slingerland " Style lugs to Pearl & Star and thus why they made their own unique lug?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Jay they being all three companies were openly knocking off Slingerland

and to a lessor degree Sonor

The early Hoshino lugs that very closely resemble Star and Pearl were alike

but not identical to either of the other two

Still an interesting possibility you raise

as It does seem as though Hoshino did go away from the Slingerland clones

and started using the other two styles that are so very common to the later Hoshino drum kits

so you may have something there

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for all the help. They most likely are Hoshinos, then. I added 2 photos of the spurs and cymbal mount which describe what Kenwood mentioned. I will now be on the lookout for a floor tom to complete the set. I will post more as my restoration project goes along. Thanks again!

2 attachments
68.8 kB
95.2 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Roland - I have a floor tom that matches your kit. It's a 14". Same lugs and wrap. It is in great shape and would be perfect to go along with your kit.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

If the tension rods are the standard thread, I would think that would strongly point to being made by Pearl. I think these were made much earlier than anything Hoshino produced.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here