Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Who made La Boz Drums, stencil folks?

OK, stencil experts, who made La Boz? Reason I'm curious is I've been rooting around here and found a La Boz catalog and, taadaa, my kit I've been trying to place is right there! Well, actually I have the sizes of the top kit and the finish of the bottom. The distinguishing features are the tom mount and the cymbal holder, which has this crazy handle like nothing I've seen elsewhere. The snare is the same too, and the snare that matches that kit is slightly different than the one I'm selling, though they both have a kind of bastard Gretsch/Slingerland offspring look to them.

To add another wrinkle, my kit doesn't have any badges, but it does have residue around the floortom air vent that is clearly an oval shape, indicating there was likely one of those "World's Supreme Quality" badges. Shame it's long gone. I'd love to know what these drums were branded as back in the day.

[IMG]http://vintagedrumguide.com/images/my_collection/literature/laboz/laboz1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My educated guess would be Star/Tama.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

My uneducated guess would be Bertie Higgins of Key Largo fame.

Posted on 14 years ago

Also, if it helps at all, the shells are the re-ring style of a decent thickness. Not bad edges either, in the Slinglerland/Ludwig style of the time.

Someone over at DrumForum put all those "World's Supreme Quality" drums in the Pearl camp. Not sure why now, but I always assumed these were. Plus, the finish is cataloged in a Pearl 68 catalog (Tiger Eye Pearl.) Could mean nothing though. Hmmmm

Posted on 14 years ago

I WANT one of those bass drum mufflers!!!!!!!!! Anyone selling?Welcome

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

I would have to agree with Jaye. And I will disagree with the statement about Pearl and "World's Supreme Quality" Most of us are of the mind those would be Star.

On this set, the lugs look like Star, the snare throw looks like Pearl....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, my first kit was a La Boz set. 5 piece blue pearl. I remember my parents taking me to Lechmere Sales in Cambridge Ma. to buy them. That was in 1968 OMG!

I can't tell you who made them and I sold them back in 1972 when I got my Slingerland Avanti kit.

Thanks for the pictures and memories

Posted on 14 years ago

Guess I can put a Tama sticker on the bass head, eh? Cool Dude

Man, someone really need to write a definitive history article for these dudes. As much as I love the classic American stuff, the stencils are almost more interesting just because they are so mysterious.

Posted on 14 years ago

The lugs are more similar to Pearl, the tom holder is definitely not by Pearl.

Also, the bass drum mounted cymbal holder seems not to be a Pearl stencil design. The Star/Hoshino brand stuff I have seen has a thinner profile lug. The vintage La Boz snares, pretty common on Ebay these days, seem to have the Star brand circular snare throw-off of the era.

My vote is also that they`re produced by Star/Hoshino rather than Pearl.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

My totally inappropriate, stupid guess would be some dirty, low down French guy named La Boz Scaggs.

Then there's that dude from New Jersey...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here