Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Who knows this brand?

Hello -

As I could not find an answer in German drummer forums, I like to place my request here.

I possess a drum set with an unknown logo on it. Does anyone know this brand?

It (please see the first pic) stands on the tomholder on the bass drum and I guess

it is a "M" or a "W" ???

The drumset may be produced between 1960 - 1980, as I bought my first "Royal Star" kit

back in 1973. But I can' t remember that I ever saw this type of a brand at that time.

I furtheron attach also pics from

it's curious bass drum leg (or do you call that: foot?),

a lug at the snare and

the snare on/off-lifter (sorry - I don't know this part's name in English!).

The set itself is "metallic-blue" and comes with the tyical sizes: 12"/ 13"/ 16"/22 and a 14" steel snare.

Your comments are very welcome! Greetings - Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 18 years ago

hmmm....lugs seem to have the same shape like Fibes.

but for the rest ???? what about a picture of the whole drum set?

Posted on 18 years ago

Actually, I have the same lugs and 5 beads on my no name japanese snare drum. I've never seen feet like that, but the strainer looks familiar. Can't place it though...

I'm guessing the snare is MIJ like mine, possibly a CB-700 (my best guess on my own snare as it came with a CB-700 used kit I bought years ago).

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

If you can post some more photos of the kit that would be greatly appreciated and would be of much help. Lug wise thats the standard lug.Used on many import kits,Pearl used them for a while,and its the basic lug to buy these days in bulk for really cheap.I know cannon sells them this way.As for the rest...I would really have to see the kit to make any guess as to the make,and potential year ( or years ) of the kit.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi again,

Thanks to all for your efforts. At the moment I am cleaning the set completely, so I guess that pics from only parts won't help at all. I'll promise to give you some pics of the sparkling "renewed" set within the next week.

So far - have a nice weekend! Ralf

---

Hello again,

So here are the pics from the unknown drums producer.

I guess, the two separate tom arms may belong to Pearl or brands under Pearl? (The two arms themself seem to be renewed later, as their diameter did not fit exactly the holes into BD and TT and so the holes were widened.)

I attach furtheron pics of BD pedal and HH mashine, which may be parts of the original previous hardware. They have a stamp of "C.Y.S." and "Taiwan".

At least a better detail from the snare strainer. The damper at the snare drum is equal to previous STAR quick damper system (half a rotation = damper is pressing the drumskin).

The two nails from the removed badges on toms and bass drum have a (very wide) distance of 6.7 cm (2.64 inch?) and so it indicates a "long name" - not a short logo.

Do the pics help to find out the producer? I'm eagerly waiting for any comments - thank you! Regards from Germany - Ralf

Posted on 18 years ago

In terms that there was nails hodling the name badge on the only two I have come across who did this were U.S.Mercury and Tempro. The kit looks a bit more modern 80's - 90's.Well the toms and bass drum do atleast.It doesn't appear as if they set was recovered or modified ( from the given photos ) and i've seen a bunch of no name kits with pearl style mounting hardware.The toms and bass may very well be a CB drum set.I do believe they tacked their badges on the kits if I recall correctly.And the mounting hardware is pretty much pearl mounting hardware.So until I see otherwise I think CB is probably the best guess as to the makers.And even snare wise they had a few things they tried out.I do know they were the first to make the free floating snare and sold the rights to pearl.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you, ARCHxANGEL,

Your guess concerning CB is really a big help to find a direction for the search. My further investigations in the web confirmed your proposals. But my snare (that cannot be seen on my pics) has 8 lugs only, and all the old CB700 snares I've seen with pics had 10 lugs ...

And all of my tom-hoops have a 'TAIWAN' stamp in it ...

And the grain within the toms goes from up to down ...

So, maybe, my version of the kit is just a Taiwan copy (or - CB had produced their kits or parts of it already in Taiwan at that time?).

But if it's a copy, I guess there were only very few Taiwanese producers on the market at that time ...

Did CB use nails for their CB700-badges on the toms or were they sticked always?

I heard that Gretsch was earlier using the bass drum legs with two ends ...?

I'll keep on searching ...

Greetings - Ralf

Posted on 18 years ago

As far as I am aware CB did start out as an import.And they did use the nails for their badges up until the late 80's - 90's.Here is one I found on ebay with the nailed badge.Same style lugs the only difference is this is a concert tom with a clip mount as opposed to the normal pearl style that they generally had and still utalize today.

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/ARCHSxDOMAIN/96_1.jpg[/IMG]

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi ARCHxANGEL,

I see you really take care, and again, I do appreciate greatly your support ...!

Thanks for that pic. Do you know the size of this concert tom? Then I try to measure the distance between the nails on this clear pic and if it's 6.7 mm, I think CB will be the hottest candidate.

(BTW, I contacted the successor of CB, KAMAN MUSIC CORP., with some pics. Unfortunately they do not keep literature and noone there had still experience

with CB.)

Thanks again! Gretings - Ralf

Posted on 18 years ago

That CB photo was from an ebay auction.I'm not sure of the size and may buy he drum anyway since its listed for $9.99.Judging from the photo its either a 14" or 16".

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here