Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Who is Mike Cirino? Questions about vintage set

About a month ago I purchased a drum set from one of my grandmom's friends because I wanted to learn how to play. This friend of hers was Mike Cirino's wife. He passed away (I'm not sure how long ago) and she wanted to get rid of the set because it was taking up too much space. She says it was from 1948 but after looking at the Vintage Drum website it looks like it's from the late 50s. Anyway, she had some pictures of him playing the drums from some old newspapers and she said he even played with Louis Armstrong.

So that's the history that I'm aware of. My questions are: Possibly an approximate date? Does anyone know anything more about Mike Cirino? It sounds amazing and I'm just interested in the history of this drum set. Also, the finish looks faded. Was it originally a white marine pearl? Because looking through the catalogs, I didn't see and yellow pearl finishes. The Hi hat and snare stands are not original. Please see attached pictures.

Thanks!

Posted on 18 years ago

About a month ago I purchased a drum set from one of my grandmom's friends because I wanted to learn how to play. This friend of hers was Mike Cirino's wife. He passed away (I'm not sure how long ago) and she wanted to get rid of the set because it was taking up too much space. I thought she said it was from 1948 but after looking at the Vintage Drum website it makes me think I misheard her and she actually said 1958. Anyway, she had some pictures of him playing the same set from some old newspapers and she said he even played with Louis Armstrong. Unfortunately I didn't get the newspaper clippings.

Measurements: 14 x 6 snare, 12 x 8 mount tom, 16 x 16 floor tom, 23 x 14 kick

shell material: wood (not sure what type)

finish: pearl I guess

interior finish: natural

drum badge: black and brass Chicago oval badge on snare and kick

No internal pencil markings on snare or mount tom

hardware config: I think it has stick saver rims and a rapid strainer. 8 lugs on snare and floor tom, 6 on mount and 10 on kick

defects: snare is a bit more faded than the rest of the set

My questions: does 1958 seem right? Does anyone know anything more about Mike Cirino? I couldn't find anything about him online. Also, the finish looks faded. Was it originally a white marine pearl? Because looking through the catalogs, I didn't see yellow pearl finishes. The Hi hat and snare stands are not original. An approximate value for curiosities sake? I almost feel bad because she gave it to me for $200!

Thanks!

Posted on 18 years ago

What a nice set of vintage drums. Lucky man you are. Are those Slingerlands?

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 18 years ago

Yeah, they are slingerlands. I didn't even think to say that. Thanks.

Posted on 18 years ago

Late '50s would be a good guess...there may be date stamps on the inside of the drums. THe snare is an early Hollywood Ace model...the floor tom looks like it's older that the rest of the set...hard to tell from the small photo. The white marine pearl commonly turned a light yellow. Excellent deal!!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here