Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Who does this stuff?

Teflon tape on t-rods? Has anyone seen this before? Not so bad removing it from one drum, but 4 is not exciting. Thank you Coor's Light. I couldn't have gotten through it without you.

B

1 attachments
Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

From AZBill

Teflon tape on t-rods? Has anyone seen this before? Not so bad removing it from one drum, but 4 is not exciting. Thank you Coor's Light. I couldn't have gotten through it without you.B

I have many time's in the pass..DOHDOH...In fact i just restored a ludwig set about 6 months ago for a guy 12,13,16,toms.22 bass,14 snare and yes every T-rod on the set all 80 of them had the tape on them...Why???? Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I have NEVER seen that before.........

Must be so you don't over tighten the rods ,right?

Makes sense to me!electricit

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes this was an old trick from back in the day, to keep the t-rods from loosing while playing, but it is a major pain to remove the Teflon tape from each t-rods, just think if they have glue on that tape?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

I would need help from Jack. . .. as in Daniels. . . He has a way of just making everything. . . . . . ok and when blended with fine southern comfort???? Everything is beautiful. . . Always appreciate your work 2K. . ..

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="1"]BOOM[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Keep em Flying ! ✈️
Posted on 13 years ago

A little Peruvian Marching Powder probably wouldn't hurt either.......if you are into that sort of thing............I'm not..............

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

I don't see how you guys don't put teflon tape on yours....mine leaks water non-stop if I don't.

Removing the tape seems like one of those projects that makes you want to throw them away and find new ones!

Posted on 13 years ago

From bigshawn

I don't see how you guys don't put teflon tape on yours....mine leaks water non-stop if I don't.

Ha, haaaa! That's good.

I also like the over-tighten the t-rods caution, BND. VM2K, I thought about possibly one loosening, but the whole kit? And, happily, no glue (or, thankfully, pipe-dope) was used in the mucking up of the t-rods. On a positive note, the t-rod threads are mint. Like they were in a time-capsule.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Good info and pearls, as always.

B

1 attachments
Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]It's used in woodwind repair to make pivot screws on clarinets and saxes not click and rattle when inserted into their key barrels.

It works real well in that application.

I am guessing the previous owner was having rattling problems (in which case, this wouldn't have helped since he/she misidentified the culprit and it was probably the springs or such) or just though that the stuff would keep the drum tuned at super-high tension, longer.

Duh of the month award, I'd say.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

PTFE (Teflon) has one of the lowest coefficients of friction against any solid and won't evaporate like other lubricants, but more importantly it's the only known surface to which a gecko can't stick (according to the gecko adhesion study anyway!). So it makes perfectly good sense to use it in that application.... or seems better than the Ludwig grease balls/dabs to me???

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here