Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Whitehall/Pearl tom mounts

I've got a mixed MIJ kit that I am putting together. Need some assistance on the tom mounting. My bass drum is an 18" Whitehall (Pearl made from what I understand). It has the hex mount on the bass drum for the hex tom arm. My ride tom is a 60's Pearl and it has the mount for a spade. Was there ever a piece that would make these two mesh together without customizing something? Certainly not going to drill any holes in the shells. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hello Mike,

I do not think that there is anything like that

I have a similar problem with a recent orphan made kit

In my case the bass has the rail w/spade mount

the mounted tom has the round female receiver for the small mij tube style tom arm

To the best of my knowledge they do not have an existing piece to help me either

Good Luck

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for your response Kenwood. Much appreciated. In your case, you could possibly make an adapter plate or take a spade mount and drill holes in the mount to match the holes in the existing tom mount. All depends on how they match up I would think. On mine, I suppose I could have a spade welded onto to the end of a hex arm. Time to be creative I think! I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't already something out there for this.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hello again Mike,

Maybe try and remove the receiver on the bass drum

I will assume it is the double hex rod receiver with the two set screws

Then select a rail mount design where the two ends of the rail are sandwiched between

the flat mounting section similar to a paper towel rack

normally they attach to the bass drum by two downward facing bolts

cut or otherwise remove one of those two bolts and re-drill that mounting strap

to match the spacing in the bass drum that would normally accommodate the two hex arms

add a new bolt and some big flat washers inside, to add a bit more support, and you got it

You will have the four original mounting holes two on either side of the newly installed rail

that can be finished off with chrome carriage style bolts

other than those capped original holes you will have a clean and totally reversible modification from hex to spade

It has been a few hours since I posted the above reply^ now

and the more I think of it, that 18" bass drum is more likely to have just the single hex receiver

in which case this solution may still be viable but a bit less optimum

instead of big flat washers a backing plate fashioned from some stiff sheet metal might be best

One upside to this setback is there would be no exposed extra original holes ..I don't think?

Posted on 6 years ago

Makes sense to me. Thanks again. Of course of I could find the proper bass for my Pearls or the proper toms for my Whitehall kit, this would be null and void!

Posted on 6 years ago

That would be a horse of a different color for sure

just for the heck of it............. is the bass double or single hex ?

Posted on 6 years ago

It is single.

Posted on 6 years ago

In your case Mike, you could always use the hex mount/arm on the bass drum and use a suspension mount with the hex bracket attached to it to mount the rack tom. You could leave the spade bracket in place as is on the tom, because there are no moving parts to rattle or work loose, and the spade bracket is low profile (the lugs stick out further from the shell than it does), so there is no problem leaving it in place.

I might have an extra hex mount bracket that you could attach to the suspension mount. I'll check and see. But that would be the easiest and would be a "drill-free" way of mounting the tom, leaving all original parts intact.

Also, VERY interesting that you have an 18" bass drum. Do you have photos? It is very, very rare to see an MIJ 18". Usually, those were only on what were considered "child" kits, and some of those had 16" bass drums if I recall correctly. I think all of the "child" kits back then were sold without floor toms.

Posted on 6 years ago

From vyacheslav

In your case Mike, you could always use the hex mount/arm on the bass drum and use a suspension mount with the hex bracket attached to it to mount the rack tom. You could leave the spade bracket in place as is on the tom, because there are no moving parts to rattle or work loose, and the spade bracket is low profile (the lugs stick out further from the shell than it does), so there is no problem leaving it in place.I might have an extra hex mount bracket that you could attach to the suspension mount. I'll check and see. But that would be the easiest and would be a "drill-free" way of mounting the tom, leaving all original parts intact.Also, VERY interesting that you have an 18" bass drum. Do you have photos? It is very, very rare to see an MIJ 18". Usually, those were only on what were considered "child" kits, and some of those had 16" bass drums if I recall correctly. I think all of the "child" kits back then were sold without floor toms.

This is a great idea - but only if you have a short hex arm for that tom to mount to. Because the hex style tom mounting (arm) went into the drum (shell) through that mount & hole in the shell.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 6 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

This is a great idea - but only if you have a short hex arm for that tom to mount to. Because the hex style tom mounting (arm) went into the drum (shell) through that mount & hole in the shell.

Nothing a hacksaw couldn't fix!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here