Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Whitehall restoration project and dating

I have a Whitehall, it was my first kit and my Dad bought it for me used in 1970 or 71. I used it hard for many years then it went to the attic when I moved on to other kits.

Today I dragged it down to inspect and decide if I want to restore it. It'll need the usual things, the hoops are a little ratty, and in fact I'm not even sure where the bottom hoops for the toms are. One tension rod for the bass drum is AWOL, and I'm missing about half the one for the toms.

I know these kits were made in 1965 or 66 on till about 71. I'm thinking because of the serial number W-00614 it an earlier one. All the other pics I've seen that show serial numbers are much higher and the lugs look different in some cases.

I've also heard, conversely, that having an actual badge as mine has is an indicator of later model.. there a little contradictory info floating around as the community solves these puzzles because there is much archaeology and little written history.

Anyway, I'm looking for more info as to when this kit dates from and where to find some missing pieces.

a couple years ago an internet search yielded very little but there seems to be more than a few of these coming down from attics now and a little interest.

Nice to meet you all, pics in time...

Posted on 9 years ago

badge is identical to mine but this is not from my kit

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

this is a stencil kit made by pearl. It was 67 or 68 ish when pearl stopped using then shells with rhe rings and started making thicker shells ..... pretty much across the board on all their drums. That is can help you date your drums. unfortunately I have seen both of those types of shelves with that badge meaning they used that badge before and after 67 / 68.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 9 years ago

I have a Whitehall in Blue Oyster Pearl with the same badge. Shells have rerings. Tuned high they're not so hot, but tuned low they ROCK! One of my favorite bass drums I've ever had.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here