Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

White Rogers

A friend of mine has a 22-13-16 in a white wrap. Grey speckled insides with tags but I don't remember what era. They have swivo hardware but he is missing the tom arm. I put new heads on them for him, hes a guitar player, and these drums killed. The bass drum collets for the spurs are shot but that is not an issue. I always steered away from Rogers because of the hardware but after joining this forum my thoughts have changed. I am thinking about trading him a set of old Slingerlands for these. My question is did Rogers use white wrap in the early sixties. Thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

JP productions has replacement collet tighteners. I would imagine your set will be a Fullerton tag drum, probably early 70s. With the cast tighteners. If you replace the cracked tighteners with the JP reproductions, they will last your lifetime and beyond. Or you can spend the money and get Pat Pend tighteners from the early to mid 60s, Cleveland, Dayton era stuff. I have a 1964 set thats original, and a 1966 set that is original, and every thing works great. I do not have hardware issues.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

lucky!...

Actually, in this case, The Ploughman isn't quite correct... although he usually is! Anyway, the Rogers Collets ARE NOT available through Jim Petty, though Jim does have just about every other Rogers part you could want/need. Here's the address to his site: www.jp2creations.com For replacement Collets, and that would be the way to go as the OEM/NOS Collets on ebay can get real pricey!... you want Dave Drew at Al Drew Music in Woonsocket, RI. Dave almost always has the replacement Collets up on eBay under user name: aldrewmusic. If there don't happen to be any available from Dave on eBay, a quick email to Dave through any of his other Rogers auctions will get it going, as you can purchase direct from him too. His Collets are made EXACT to the Rogers drawings... and! ... they are MACHINED, not cast... thus they will last a long time. Also,

I play/gig on Rogers 99.9% of the time, and I work pretty much full time, which means a LOT of set-up and take-down of the kit. I have NEVER had a failure with any piece of Rogers Swivo-Matic hardware... and that includes the Collets. Course all my Rogers are 60's era which means all the Swivo hardware is MACHINED and not CAST, and that is the key. The cast stuff is okay as long as it is treated gingerly... whereas the machined pieces are quite a bit more hearty/durable in the longevity area. Still, over-tightening the machined pieces will eventually cause their failure too... but ... they really don't need to be over-tightened to hold correctly. It still is an EXCELLENT design!

BTW: New England White... ( solid white wrap ) ... didn't come in until 1973. It was NOT available in the 60's. Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

they were still using swivo hardware in 73? I think I read something about leftover dayton stuff, do you think it would apply here? Also when did they move to Mexico? Don't know if it matters, these drums really sounded great!

Posted on 16 years ago

lucky!...

Yup!,... Rogers was still using Swivo-Matic in 1973 ( although I believe this was the last catalog with Swivo-Matic ) as MemriLoc wasn't cataloged until 1976. There are a LOT of Swivo kits out there from the early 70's on up until the MemriLoc system started. Regarding Mexico:

Rogers never had a "factory" in Mexico per se... but did farm out a lot of the production and manufacture of metal parts to Mexico. Much cheaper labor, and of course that would be commensurate with a much cheaper grade of part and/or quality in general, although I mean nothing derogatory towards the Mexican workers as a force. The drums were still considered as Rogers, and who's factory was still located in Fullerton, CA., thus they were referred to as Fullerton era drums during this period. Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the info, I think I will make a move on this trade.

Posted on 16 years ago

I knew it had to be one or the other. I have a couple replacement collets, I had forgotten where I got them from. I thought it was JP. My 64 and 66 set has all original PAT PEND parts. 40+years and still work like new.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here