Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

While you Ludwig guys are at it.. ideas and fair price??

I believe one is an Acro (?) not sure of anything on the other...

The Acro (if it is that) is missing the snare wires but looks great otherwise.. the other drum is a complete wood shell pretty beat up and painted blue.. but I think it is certainly a vintage Ludwig drum.

I have an old Slingerland red sparkle bass drum and I am learning re-wrapping skills on a rough old Slingerland 12" tom and making a very rough old slingy field snare into a floor tom to match.. so I need a snare to complete a vintage 4 piece homemade jazz kit for my son to play on.

My choices could be pick up the Acro.. or buy the old painted one and wrap it red sparkle...

Thoughts.. fair prices??? Sorry bad pictures again.

2 attachments
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Get the Acro.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Both of those drums are '60s Ludwigs.

The Acro has had its P83 replaced with a late '70s P85. Assuming it is otherwise in good condition, you should pay less than $100 for it. It would be a drum that you will always want to keep because they just sound perfect.

The wood drum has also had its strainer replaced with a P85. Since the other hardware and rims appear to be nickel, my guess is that it's a late '50s - early '60's Jazz Fest. Without a badge,and assuming it originally had a P83, that seems the most likely, anyway. If you can see the original inside, that would help refine the year of manufacture - it would be mahogany with maple rerings or else white paint after about 1962. If you can get that drum for cheap, I'd consider it an excellent choice for rewrap since the original finish is gone. I'll let more knowledgeable experts than I guess what an appropriate price for it is.

Enjoy, and be sure to post pics of your project kit.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here