Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

which paint to use for Bass hoop

Hi folks, I have 2 vintage Bass hoops with WMP inlay. They're both in need of a touch up of black paint. Any suggestions on what to use? Gloss, matte, water based, oil etc.

Thanks,

David

Posted on 9 years ago

Water based -gloss- black will do you. Easy clean-up too. Oil base is better, but the clean-up is a mess.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

This might be consider odd, or maybe a no-no by purists, but I did two 28" Rodgers marching bass drum hoops with gloss black Rustoleum and they turned out really well. --- I searched and asked around a lot before painting, here and elsewhere, and got a lot of good feedback, tried the spray can Krylon route, even researched the alleged original (and apparently evil) Nitro Cellulose paint route

scary and very toxic, i understand) - But the old can of Rustoleum in the workshop, for the wrought iron porch railing bekoned to me and, even though brushed on, gave me good results for my aims. --- May or not be right for your job- my Rogers hoops were very rough, one broken clean through along the grain - repaired with epoxy - well sanded and Rusto'd. --- True on the clean-up issue, but I just used an inexpensive, but functional brush that was ultimately pitched - cleaned with paint thinner between uses. It took a few days for a few coats, carefully suspending them to dry.

By all means research first, get other opinions, even test results before commiting on some junk wood. This is just another idea. - I still have an 18" hoop refurb for my old Slingys and personally won't hesitate to use the glossy black Rustoleum again. But that's me, and I'm not quite the purist on the matter.

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 9 years ago

From davidnyc64

Hi folks, I have 2 vintage Bass hoops with WMP inlay. They're both in need of a touch up of black paint. Any suggestions on what to use? Gloss, matte, water based, oil etc.Thanks,David

If your wrap is at all dulled by age, I'd go with satin. If the wrap is shiny new-new, I'd go gloss. Either way I can't resist the Krylon stuff that dries to the touch in 20 minutes, if you have somewhere to spraypaint.

Now this seems obvious but if it's just spots here and there, then I'd match it as best you can.

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Semi-gloss whatever spray. Gloss will be too shiny. It'll look "right". These are both redone.

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Semi Gloss or Satin (enamel) spray can.... I cannot recall "Gloss" Black being used on any factory hoops... Gloss will only highlight any imperfections in the timber..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm gonna amend my recommendation and go with crash and longjohn - even if your wrap is shiny, gloss on the hoops will be too shiny. OTOH if you happen to have a can of gloss, you can use it and dull the finish a bit with steel wool. I did it on mine and was very happy.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here