Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Which kit for the studio?

Not life or death and I'm sure it will work out OK either way, but any opinions?

In the red corner: Late 60's Beverley birch, beech re-rings, 22, 16, 13, 12

In the blue corner: 1979 Tama superstar, birch 22, 16, 14, 13.

I prefer the Beverley sizes to be honest, but anyone's recording experiences with any of the two would be appreciated!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

What type of sound do you want from the drums, when recorded? Most good studios have more than one kit so that an incoming drummer can pick the sound he wants (unless he insists on using his own kit).

I have a small, converted garage studio (single room) but I can offer a drummer 5 kits to choose from. Each kit is headed and tuned differently for specific needs. Everything from a smaller sized jazz kit tuned up, to the modern rock type low tuned kit, and several in between.

A vintage kit will always sound *vintage* so if you're happy with that type of sound, go for the Beverly kit. If you tend to record more modern stuff, the Tama's might be a better choice.

Heads and tuning will have a huge impact on the sound of ANY kit, but it would be difficult, if not impossible, to make a 3 ply 60's Ludwig kit sound like a new DW kit.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm probably better off with the Tamas, as I'm not particularly after a vintage sound (though I do want a natural sound), and I think the bass drum has the edge. Thing is, wish I had a 12" for em! (see other posts!) The Beverley does sound sweet tho!

Anyway as you said, new heads and a good tune!

Anyone do any recording with tama superstars from that era?

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here