Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Which Is The Better "deal?"

Good Morning,

First let me say "thanks" to all the fellow forum members who've been providing me with MARVELOUS information in responses to my prior posts on this forum. Your time and "expertise" are truly appreciated!

Being a former player (long, long ago!) and a very modest collector, my buying and selling is minimal in nature when compared to most. Because of my limited activity, I like to obtain any and all "words of wisdom" prior to making my final decisions.

Just the other day an acquaintance of mine offered me two deals (at least I hope that they're "deals"!) on some Slingerland drums. I've decided to take advantage of one of the two, unless someone out there can convince me that neither are worth my time or money. I thought I'd briefly describe what's "on the table" and then, hopefully, get some feedback on which would be the better choice.

The first offer is for a 1960s Slingerland Silver Sparkle Cocktail Kit. It's in the 14 x 24 configuration, with two heads, a pedal, and a mounting assembly for a cymbal holder (included) and cowbell ("Zil-Bel"), also included. The finish appears to be in excellent shape, with little to no fade. All three legs on the drum seem to function fine. His asking price is $325.00. This one interests me simply because I like things that are "different" and I don't currently have anything quite like it in my modest collection.

The second offer is for a 1965 or 1966 Slingerland White Satin Flame 4-Piece Kit. The drum sizes are 22" (bass), 16" (floor tom), 14" (snare) and 13" (rack tom). The shells and hardware all seem to be in really good condition, and the Niles badges are present on the bass drum and the snare drum. All muffler assemblies are also there and seem to function fine. The snare drum is an 8-lug model, with the Slingerland Zoomatic ("tombstone") strainer. The White Satin Flame finish, as with most satins that I've seen, has its share of scratches and appears somewhat dirty. The finish on the floor tom is actually peeling off in one area. His asking price is $400.00. What I really like about this kit is the condition of the wooden shells and the hardware. What I don't like is the condition of the White Satin Flame finish. I'm thinking that $400.00 seems to be a reasonable price for all four pieces with excellent shells and hardware but I'm also thinking that I'd probably have to put another $400.00 into the kit to have it recovered. I'm not sure if that would be the thing to do. I guess I could always buy it "as is" and then try to sell it "as is".

THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP -- If you had a choice between the two offers above, what would you do? Are either one of them something worth considering?

THANKS in advance for your time and consideration!Help

Posted on 17 years ago

My opinion would be go with the 4 piece, if you decide not to keep it, it'll appeal to a greater number of collectors on resale.

Posted on 17 years ago

Buy the cocktail kit and give me your friends number.........LOL

I think the Slingy flame finishes are so cool......don't you feel that you can clean up the finish a bit ??

Rgds, John

Posted on 17 years ago

BigZ and JohnG,

THANKS to both of you for your input.

JohnG: Yes, I do believe that I could clean it up a bit, but the condition of the finish on the floor tom is NOT GOOD! In regard to providing you with my friend's number, he'd be offering the kit to others for $500.00 at the lowest amount and he's not a fan of packing and shipping his items -- too much hassle and headache, in his opinion.

Posted on 17 years ago

They're both good deals...you should buy both.

Posted on 17 years ago

THANKS, Rich!

I'd like to but with two of my kids in college my "play" money seems to be getting less and less for some reason!Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

Where is the kit located and would you pack and ship them if he does not want to?

David

Posted on 17 years ago

David,

The kit's located in Michigan.

If I don't end up buying it, I'd consider picking it up, packaging & shipping it, if it was worth my while.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

THANKS, Rich!I'd like to but with two of my kids in college my "play" money seems to be getting less and less for some reason!Keep on Pl

OldSchool

Man can I sympathize with you.......2 in college here as well, but I do have my "mad money" fund....currently building up my snare stock...

I am just pleased my house is too small for a kit collection.

Rgds.

Posted on 17 years ago

JohnG:

I had my family room doubled, turned it into a "music" room to help fit my "stuff", but even that's no longer large enough.

I think I'll be joining you in going the "snare" route. I can collect more items that will take up less space. Even my "lovely bride" will like that idea!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here