Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Which is the Better Deal?

I have an opportunity to buy only 1 of these kits. I don't have enough cash to buy both. Please tell me which is the better deal.

First kit: Rogers Big R (made in USA, no serial #'s) in a Blue Mist Finish. Sizes are 12x9, 13x10, 16x17, 18x17, 22x17 (kick) and a Dynasonic snare drum. $500

Second Kit: Ludwig Stainless Steel Drum (not a wrap). Blue & Olive badges. Sizes are 12, 13, 14 (mounted toms) 16" Floor, and 22" bass, no snare. $800. The owner said if I want the snare the price would be $1000

Both kits are in excellent condition with very minimal wear.

Please help me decide which is the better deal. Also, if I decide to sell them I can get my money back.

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Sounds is the key for me, how do they sound?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

If the Big R kit is made in the USA I would go for that one.....they will sound just as good if not better...and you get a snare (what type ??)

Posted on 15 years ago

Agreed, if the Rogers is the American made version get that. Always sounded great.

Gary
1970 WMP Star
1971 Gretsch
1976 Camco
1972 Slingerland
1982 Yamaha 9000 RC
FVF custom kit
AD Drums custom kit
RCI acrylic kit
Arbiter Flats Pro
Ludwig402, Premier2000, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Ahead COB,
Posted on 15 years ago

From JohnG

If the Big R kit is made in the USA I would go for that one.....they will sound just as good if not better...and you get a snare (what type ??)

From mighty gaz

Agreed, if the Rogers is the American made version get that. Always sounded great.

I take it you don't know the significance of Ludwig's Stainless steel kits? That kit is worth every PENNY of the $800 you'd be paying. Those were the drums made popular by John Bonham from Led Zeppilin.

Though they are not the sizes he played those are quite desirable sizes to play and they are pretty rare and if in good shape they are a great deal at that price. If I had the money I would buy them without hesitation TODAY. But alas, I am flat broke.DOHDOH

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

Bonham aside Viper...the Rogers kit is better sounding.......

Buddy Rich played Vox for a while... does that make them great kits ??

Posted on 15 years ago

From JohnG

Bonham aside Viper...the Rogers kit is better sounding.......Buddy Rich played Vox for a while... does that make them great kits ??

He also played Rogers and Ludwig and Slingerland and it DID make them great and sought after kits. Well, I obviously won't banter personal tastes in sound with you but my kit of stainless sounds awesome, rich, full and pure. I'm assuming the same of the kit in question.

I'm basing the sound from that description of my kit and of my recollection of the Rogers script set I once owned, so I think it's an informed decision, however tone is always in the ear of the beholder.

I was under the impression he wanted to know the better deal, I still believe the Stainless is worth more as a DEAL than the Rogers big R kit. But the Rogers guys might have a bit more inside knowledge of the Big R kits than I would.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

The Big R with no serial numbers is a concern to me. My very first kit was a Big R kit. I ordered a Swivo kit in late 1974 and when my order arrived, it was a Big R kit, instead. I was delighted! I still have some of the drums from that kit and they all have serial numbers. I am not a Rogers expert beyond what I can tell you about the drums I have in front of me, but mine all have serial numbers. That makes me think those Rogers might be the import variety. Is that right? Someone?

It's hard to say what the better deal is. If you want to spend $500.00 or $1000.00...that's quite a spread. I'd have to see pictures, first. It is true that John Bonham played Ludwig stainless steel drums and even that wide association adds to the sale-ability. There are many personal parameters to consider in deciding what the best deal is.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

From O-Lugs

The Big R with no serial numbers is a concern to me. My very first kit was a Big R kit. I ordered a Swivo kit in late 1974 and when my order arrived, it was a Big R kit, instead. I was delighted! I still have some of the drums from that kit and they all have serial numbers. I am not a Rogers expert beyond what I can tell you about the drums I have in front of me, but mine all have serial numbers. That makes me think those Rogers might be the import variety. Is that right? Someone?It's hard to say what the better deal is. If you want to spend $500.00 or $1000.00...that's quite a spread. I'd have to see pictures, first. It is true that John Bonham played Ludwig stainless steel drums and even that wide association adds to the sale-ability. [COLOR="Red"]There are many personal parameters to consider in deciding what the best deal is.[/COLOR]

Absolutely true O-Lugs, I LOVE Ludwig drums and by chance a good friend of mine was selling his kit of Stainless and I bought it up. I've only played one kit of Rogers, and it sounded GREAT and I wish I still owned it, but the swiv-o-matic hardware was in need of replacement and at the time I just didn't have the cash to re-do it, so I sold it.

I would think, if both kits are of equal VINTAGE value, the Stainless will be of greater CASH value due to the limited production and Bonham recognition factors. You can rest assured the Stainless kit IS the exact model/style as Bonham's as there wasn't more than one type as only one Stainless kit was ever offered until the Repro recently offered by Ludwig. The Rogers Big R COULD be the import model, that would have to be cleared up before purchase.

Of course, this buyer might not WANT Stainless drums, it's a simple as that, but being as he asked I assume his preference is equal on both sides of the coin.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here