Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

which heads sound the best?

on a vintage drumset, which heads sound the best?

i'm interested to hear what you guys think/use.

both batter/resonant and on all drums (kick/snare/toms)

come on!

Car Driving2

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Depends on the size of the drums and the application. Generally, let's take a Downbeat Ludwig (for example)....I like Remo coated Diplomats on the toms and a Coated Emperor batter bass drum/Ambassador resonant bass drum with a felt strip off center running vertically. That's almost always what I use. Others prefer a bit thicker head on the toms -like Ambassadors.....but I play mostly jazz related things in small nightclub settings and I like the extra response that a thinner batter head provides for low-volume playing. The Emperor is the exception, of course, but I really like them on the 3-ply Ludwig bass drums because they have a lower fundamental tone and yet are not overly muffled -just enough to cut down the "boink!" sound.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

The ones that happen to be on my drum at the time.

This is a question that cannot be answered with any semblance of finality. I realize you're opening up a discussion for fun, but if you do a search, you will find several of these that have already run the course.

The fact is, the decision for particular heads is ultimately dependent upon the drum, the player, the format, the venue, the audience, blah blah blah.

Let's look at one single kit. A 1971 Slingerland 80N (22/13/16) with matching snare. I've run just about every conceivable head combination on this kit. Each brings out a different sonic variable mix. Thin plastic 7 mil, med plastic 10 mil double, med plastic 10 mil single, thick plastic double, thick plastic single, this companies plastic blend, that companies plastic blend, control rings, calf skin, goat skin, single headed, double headed, yaddah yaddah yaddah.

You get the point. Different heads make the kit sound different. What do you want it to sound like at that moment? That's the heads you use.

Search through the threads and locate some very good discussions on this topic. Outstanding stuff.

Posted on 14 years ago

I just tried out some Aquarian Response 2's and let me tell you I have found my new favorite heads! I run them over ebony ambassadors. I like my drums dark and deep and these heads really do that, but they still resonate and do not sound dead at all to me. As for bass I always go with a coated Remo Powerstroke 3 with an ebony Ambassador on the front with a VERY SMALL port hole like a 1 incher.

There are soooo many head combos and playing styles there is no way you can answer the question what are the best heads for a vintage drum.

1973 Slingerland Phantom 13,16,22
Late 30s Slingerland Radio King- 7x14
SJC Custom Snare Pink Sparkle- 8x14
62 Slingerland COB Radio King- 5x14
Posted on 14 years ago

Talking Heads............

brrrump bump bump ching

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here