Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

which heads for rogers bigR

Hi,

this is my first post here...

I own a recording studio and i just bought vintage (1977) BigR roger set

Bassdrum: 24 x 14

Tom: 13 x 9

Tom: 14 x 10

Floortom: 16 x 16

I am mainly recording singer-song writer stuff and acoustic pop/rock

what will be the best set of head to use with this kit

thanks a lot

Posted on 17 years ago

It depends on what you're looking for in a sound. If you want the vintage Rogers sound use Remo coated ambassadors on the batter side of the toms and clear or coated ambassadors on the reso side. Ambassador coated on the reso side of the bass drum and I like a Remo pinstripe batter.

If you want a great rock sound use pinstripe batters all around and clear ambassador reso side.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

thanks!

what do you think on diplomat heads?

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

thanks!what do you think on diplomat heads?

I love diplomat batter for my Dyna Sonic snare but find them a little too light for toms. If you play lightly they might work but they're not for heavy hitters.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

thanks!what do you think on diplomat heads?

Depending on how you play, I'd say you can't go wrong with either the Remo Diplomat, or Ambassador Heads on these Drums. I've just re-headed my entire Barrett Deems Kit with Remo Ambassadors, and couldn't be happier.

Although I ordered from Musician's Friend, and the heads came trickling in 2, and 4 at a time, due to backordered heads, I'm very happy with the extreme level of quality, fit, and finish Remo now appears to provide.

My take is, that if you are an extremely "hard" hitter, hitting at odd angles, or using Cheech+Chong weight Sticks, you'll dent/damage the Ambassadors just as easily as the Diplomats.

With either choice, note that you will get mucho resonance, possible sympathetic buzz-resonance, and this could possibly play havoc with studio recordings?

Studio Muffling Rings, which basically all the Big Head Makers make today (Remo-O's, Aquarian Studio Rings, etc) may help in these instances in tamimg ring-resonance, without going to a dedicated double-ply, or pinstripe type head.

Of course too, most Sets have mufflers also (my Vintage Slingys don't), so once can vary the amount of Muffling, thus finding the exact sweet spot, and sound you prefer at any given moment.

Mark

Posted on 17 years ago

never have been a big fan of the remo pinstripes. i've played in many drumlines and thats what we always used for the quads, toms, etc. they carry their sound very far.

Posted on 17 years ago

1964 Rogers 20-12-16 has Remo Amb. top, Clear dips bottom.

1966 Rogers 20-12-14-16 Aquarian Textured Satin on top, Clear Amb. bottom

1977 Rogers, 24, 13, 16, 18, Remo Amb. top, Clear Amb bottom.

1980 Rogers XP8, 18, 12, 14 Remo Amb. top, Clear Amb bottom.

EQ1 on the 18, Fiberskyn reso, Rogers Logo no hole

EQ3 on one of the 20s, Fiberskyn 3 with shield logo, rogers logo, no hole

SK1 on the other,..... i dont like it. Fiberskyn 3 with rogers logo, no hole

Remo Powerstroke 3 pinstripe on the 24 with Fiberskyn Medium reso, shield logo, Rogers logo.

They sound fine. Maybe Im just not adventerous enough.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here