Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Which badge to install? & P-83 question

I've got a COB Ludwig Supra, may be a Super Ludwig from '58-'59 from what I've researched. I bought this snare years ago and the badge had been removed, badly.The butt plate is stamped WFL.

I've got a few questions,

-which badge to install, a transition, or WFL Drums keystone?

-brass or steel washers for the tension rods?

-I did aquire a chrome WFL stamped P-83, but it may be missing a threaded washer that fits under the top "ball". I've seen the strainers w/ and w/ out this but there's one on the P-83 on my Acrolite and it works great. Is this part neccessary?

-Inside the shell are hand-written initials, may be a small a and a capital R,

"a R" or maybe "C U R" . I've seen the same initials inside other Ludwigs on e-bay. Any signifigance?

Thanks alot.

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

Any thoughts?

This has been my "go to" snare for around fifteen years & deserved some attention.

I'd like to represent this drum as best I can, for myself.

All the guys I've asked in the local shops say just do what you like or put the WFL badge on.

Posted on 15 years ago

All ready to assemble, except for a descision on the badge.

Would like to get some feedback, send a pm, anything.

It could be either badge from that time '58-'60, tricky?, grey area?

Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ludwig Book, Rob Cook, p. 241

"There were a very few Super Ludwigs produced with WFL Badges; so few that they are considered very rare. The badge commonly known by collectors as the "transition" badge was most used in 1958 and 1959."

"1960-1963" Brass keystone badge with no serial number"

Either would be cool and it sounds like either could be correct.

So I guess to quote the famous saying.. "quite frankly I feel very strongly both ways!"

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Went with the WFL badge. It just seemed to fit better than the transistion badge which is larger. Looks like it belongs there beside the marks left when the origional badge was pryed off, maybe with a screwdriver.

4 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here