Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Where to get gut snare wire or a substitude

Hi to All,

Got another post in the vintage forum but figured I wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Does anyone know were I can get some replacement gut snare wire to replace two of the snares on a Ludwig 1970s or so Challenger marching snare ? (See the photo). I have the ends, someone just cut two of the snare wires or they broke off. Anyone know if there is anything that can be used as a substitute ? I have a school program coming up shortly and need to try to get this great old drum up and running. Could really use some help if anyone have some suggestions!

dad roadie

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Snare-Wires/Ludwig-1108.html

F Y I,if you want a crisp sound from those snares ,get some clear lacquer

(hair spray) and give them a through coating.

It seals out the moisture.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I,m hoping to find somewhere to get just the material to replace the two snare wires and not the whole snare assembly. The cost is a little prohibitive.

I heard that Ludwig used to sell the single gut snare wires but haven,t found anyone that carries it.

Thanks again

dad roadie

Posted on 8 years ago

From Dad Roadie

Thanks for the reply! I,m hoping to find somewhere to get just the material to replace the two snare wires and not the whole snare assembly. The cost is a little prohibitive.I heard that Ludwig used to sell the single gut snare wires but haven,t found anyone that carries it. Thanks againdad roadie

Ludwig isn't Ludwig anymore,so you're chances are slim to none of buying a single replacement part.

You could go to a tennis shop where they restring rackets and see if you can buy a roll of gut snare strings that match your size and color and cut them to length.

http://www.onlinedrummer.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31676-ludwig-accent-snare-drum-gut-snares/

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply, In need of same. So true on Ludwig.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

If it is a 15" snare I have an entire NOS assembly. Still in the plastic. I also have rolls of gut snare cord or cord by the piece.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

The drum is a 14" Ludwig unit. In the old parts list I found they called the the out the individual wires at 16 and 1/2 inches. I guess to be safe I would need two sections at about 18" or so. Please let me know (PM) if you might have these available. I believe I sent a message to your regular store website also.

dad roadie

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here