Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Where are the 6.5 inch PowerTones???

Where are all the 6.5 inch PowerTones??? I swear I have only seen a couple in books, none on ebay and none even from vintage dealers. Were not many made due to a lack of demand back in the 1960's? A 6.5" PowerTone... It seems to me like THAT would be a snare to hear! Any info, ideas??? I want to hear one.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Where are all the 6.5 inch PowerTones??? I swear I have only seen a couple in books, none on ebay and none even from vintage dealers. Were not many made due to a lack of demand back in the 1960's? A 6.5" PowerTone... It seems to me like THAT would be a snare to hear! Any info, ideas??? I want to hear one.

Hi IsaccHeath.

I don't claim to know if it was a powertone or not but 10 or so years ago an old mate borrowed, or somehow had access to a 61/2 x 14 rogers snare with the old script badge which i think was COB but I could be wrong. Although it was in immaculate condition, to me it just like looked like it was an old Pearl copy.

I had no idea at that time that it was infact pearl who had done all the copying!

My mate said to me 'have a go on this baby' and I can honestly say I haven't heard a snare sound like that since...it was beautiful, i've got a perminant memory etched in mind of how wonderful it sounded, it was articulate with plenty of body, great for jazz or rock... and it was not for sale. I'm in Australia and good vintage gear is rare here so that was the only one of it's kind that i've ever seen.

There's is none around mate cause if I owned one I would not part with it. Am I glorifying it in my memory? Was it just a really well tuned snare? When my mate first showed me he was rather excited as to what it was but I could'nt see the beauty in it until I played it. Thanks for depressing me...

Posted on 17 years ago

I think theres one on the wall at The Starving Musician in Santa Clara CA. You might be able to talk the guy out of it. Hes also got a century and a mardi gras classmate.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Really?? I just bought a 6.5" SuperTen from the S.M. about 2 months ago! A Mardi Gras Classmate!? I would love to get up there again. Great store.

I LOVE my 6.5" SuperTen, it sounds amazing in such a variation of tunings. Lots of muffling or none it is beautiful and I got it for a great price from those guys. That snare makes me want to try as many 6.5" Rogers snares as I can get my hands on.

Any one ever see and 6.5" wood PowerTones??? That really was my starting question. Sorry to leave out the word wood.

Isaac

Posted on 17 years ago

While you are at it, dont undersell these...... I know they dont have the collector value of the 60s Dynasonics, but these are NO Joke.

Pic is of my early 80s 6.5 x14 Dynasonic 10 ply Maples.

1 attachments
Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

I will celebrate the hell out of those drums with you! When ever I play on a rock bands album, this era and size is what the drum tech brings in... 6.5 or 8 inch late 70's or early 80's snare drums. That is the standard on the projects I get called to do. Not necessarily a big R Rogers maple but the same type of "not so vintage" arena rock snare drums.

In my opinion, this era of drums will soon become collectors items in a big way. To some they already are (like you and me). Those early big R drums, ludwigs and even some TAMA snares are just too great to go un-noticed. I have a 8" maple SuperTen like yours, AMAZING!

I was curious to see if a 1960's 6.5" wood PowerTone could stand, in it's own way as a rock drum like (dare I say) a USA big R. Hopefully I'll find one and see someday.

Isaac

Posted on 17 years ago

Rogers are my first love i have played nothing but for over 40 years but i just never could get used to a dynasonic i always managed to wreck them so i stuck with my Supraphonic 402..but really i only use the footpedals and snare so i am not a full fledged traitor.. :) my 1971 baby

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Magwa/newludwig4021971.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

Isaac,

I just remembered your post here about the 6 1/2" Powertones when I revisited a link that I have bookmarked - about 1/3 of the way down the page you will find a 6 1/2" COB Powertone.

Just thought you still might like to check it out.

Mike

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~a2a/eJ_H.shtml

Posted on 17 years ago

6.5" wooden powertones are the rarest Rogers snares...even rarer than the deep dynasonics. If you find one, buy it.

Posted on 17 years ago

Rich,

So a 6 1/2" wood Powertone would really be a great find not only for collecting but from what I gather the sound of the snare. I never would have thought that was the case - (concerning the rarity of the wood Powertone vs. the Dyna Sonic). Thanks!

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here