Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

When you least expect it...

A few months ago I got struck by the vintage drum mania when I stumbled upon a 1965 D421 Sonor snare drum in Red Pearl (or marble) which I bought for 50bucks. I got immediately in love with it and thought how cool would it be to have the entire set. I started to dig the internet for more info and found a few sets going for crazy dollars. All right, I said to myself, maybe one day, when I will grow up I will afford a set of those...

Now a few days ago my vocalist tells me she has a dude at work who used to be a drummer and who has a set of old Sonor drums laying around in his attic, which he would like to give to someone who would use them. I got him to show me some pics and guess what? - 3 piece Sonor Teardrop in Red Pearl flowers2 -

So yesterday I went and picked them up. I offered to buy them but the chap refused, then I told him that if he would evere consider drumming again I could give him an old cheap set of electronic drums so that he could practice in his appartment. He said he'll considerd it but for now he was just happy to had them over to someone who could appreciate them. OMG! what a day!

Here are some pics taken just after I hauled them home.

P.S. the set also came with a 70-80' Tama pedal, Tacton 13" tom, cracked 16" Sabian AA El Sabor crash, 18" Meinl 70 Spezial Thin Crash, 20" Pearl Wild 500 ride and ............. a Ludwig Keystone badge Acrolyte Mind Blowi

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

True definition of deal right there. Coffee Break2

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

You must be doing something right! Those look great. Looks to me like maybe 1970 or so. Do the shells have re-rings? If so I have the same kit in rosewood, but I paid $1400 for mine. (with no nothing but the 3 drums.)

Posted on 15 years ago

I hate you!

KIDDING!

Man! What a great bit of serendipity!!! Congratulations!!!!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I feel you O-lugs, I'd hate myself too... I would like to think that I'm doing something right even though I still have butterflies in my stomach LoLoLoLo

Anyway, there are no rerings on the shells and no muflers either, the bd hoops are metal and all this leads me to date them late 60's or 70's also. I found no stamp inside the bd or the floor tom but there is trace of one on the tom but I;ll have to take a closer look to try and decipher it if possible. The kit is in great condition, missing only one tension rod on the bottom of the ft, the bd badge and cymbal arm, no extra holes, chrome in good condition and the wrap has minor scratches and a few small dents. I will keep you posted and bring more photos as I will clean them up but that will only happen in a week as I am leaving tomorrow for vacation (what a timing...). Until then, all the best to you wonderful people!

Posted on 15 years ago

If 6 ply then very late 60's or early 70's. There should be a 3 digit stamped date code in each shell. First digit is year, next two are month. So 905 would be May 1969 for example. Congratulations. You are very blessed.

Posted on 15 years ago

Just wait till you wake up and it all seemed to be a dream ....

Great story !

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, nice!

Getting drums for free is great thing, but getting drums of this kind... Cool1

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 15 years ago

AHHHH..The drum Gods are mysterious are they not??;)

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 15 years ago

How SWEET is that!?!

fishwaltz
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here