Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

When old meets new.

First off...Happy New Year to all y'all! My resolution is to do just enough selling and trading of gear this year to keep the Hoarders TV crew from knocking at my door.

With that said... I suck at keeping resolutions.

I host a poker game on New Years Day, and this year I came out a few hundred ahead. My favorite thing to do is buy something with my winnings and then subtly point it out to the guys the next time they come over..."So you like my new TV, well, remember that hand when you had aces and I won with seven five? Love the picture on this thing, it has WiFi too".

Anyway, this year it took only a few days to not only break my resolution to do more trading and less buying, but also violate my long standing boycott of big chain music stores, and modern drums in general.

Paralyzed with boredom on a post-holiday "I'm just going to the mall to return a few things" 4 1/2 hour shopping trip with my wife and two daughters, I took a spin through the local evil big chain music store (rhymes with Guitar Center) and I walked out with a new Tama snare. It was clearance priced at $199, with tax it came to within $1.50 of what I had in my pocket from the poker game, it seemed meant to be.

This past summer I refurbished a 1970ish Star clear acrylic kit that unfortunately had no matching snare. I don't have much experience with acrylic snares but I've read mixed reviews, and finding a match to the Star kit seems next to impossible, so I had just moved on from the idea. But this new Tama SPL snare caught my eye because the lugs are reminiscent of the tear drop (lawn dart) lugs on the Star kit, and it definitely caught my ear when I played it. Being 6.5 inches deep with heavy cast rims, and Tama's top of the line strainer (according to the helpful and friendly salesperson at GC), it is like carrying around a bowling ball, but upon inspection it is made with real precision, and it sounds cracking good.

So, until I stumble across a vintage Star acrylic snare this stout pup from the same bloodline will be standing in.

Have a great start to the New Year! As a Cleveland Browns fan I love this time of year, I get to pick another team to follow in the playoffs.

2 attachments
Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Mr Toast

Happy New Year. My resolution was not to make any resolutions, so far so good!

Nice kit, I didn't realize that that Star came out with a clear set during the "acrylic era" of the 70's. As I am a hoarder and always looking online for new snares, I'll keep an eye open for a Star acrylic for you.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 6 years ago

Michael,

Thanks for looking out on the snare. I don't think 100 snares makes you a hoarder at all...ok maybe a little, but I'm not one to call the intervention people on you....the 6 snares I have is considered a lot to most folks.

How many acrylic snares do you have, and what is your opinion on the sound of them?

AL

-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:

Modern Drums:
Posted on 6 years ago

Hey Al

I have 2 Ludwigs from the 70's a more recent Pork Pie and a Spaun, still looking for a red/white/blue Ludwig. I find they are not as much of a warm or mellow sound but with an Evans coated hydraulic head they sound pretty good.

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 6 years ago

Maybe it's just the added depth but this Tama is pretty warm sounding, reminds me of a metal over wood Pearl 6.5 that I had a while back, but that's the only other 6.5 I've played for any length.

Are you the guy that has all the Ludwig Standard Strata variant snares?

AL

-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:

Modern Drums:
Posted on 6 years ago

Fellow Clevelander here... Go Clowns!! Can't get much better than 0-16... Cool Dude

Nice snare addition... I don't think I've ever played an acrylic snare before. Looks beautiful with the kit!

IN SEARCH OF:
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 9x13 rack tom in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 22 OR 24x14 bass drum in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Posted on 6 years ago

Hey Al

Not yet . . . and I say yet . . . on the Ludwig strata variants.

Michael

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 6 years ago

I'm actually a transplant from Oregon so I didn't have an NFL team growing up, Seattle or San Francisco were geographically the closest but I didn't really buy in. One of the first functions I went to upon moving to the Akron area was a fundraiser trying to get the team back after the Baltimore/Modell debacle. Here I was shaking hands with Otto Graham, Bernie Kosar, etc. I had no idea at the time how big a deal they were around here, so the thrill of meeting them was lost on me. I have always liked the underdog, so it was easy to get behind the new team in 1999...and pretty much every team since.

-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:

Modern Drums: