Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

What's up with floor tom prices?

Hi All,

Q: I've studied a lot of eBay for 5 months and it seems that floor toms are highly sought after. I saw a 18" blue bowling ball Ludwig sell for like $1,018, and a 14 BOP for like $700. Have floor toms always been in high demand?

They seem to be very sought after. I'd appreciate some insight and possibly guidance on what's best to invest in. I love 14" floor toms but they get snapped up bammo. Walking I'm in it for the fun these days, but I'm an old player and have every ounce of respect for integrity at all levels.

Thanks, WADSMOE

Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 14 years ago

14x14 floor toms made by anyone are sought after and in demand as not too many were made by any of the manufacturers. 16x18 Ludwigs are in demand due to a lot of people wanting to build "Bonham" kits. 16" floor toms are rather common so prices for those are rather reasonable still, unless its a Leedy pre-slingerland era....floor toms in general for Leedy are hard to come by as I've been finding out.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think most Kent owners on the forum are also looking for floor toms...LIKE I AM!!..I think they made kits w/o floors in the old days...Geez,drummers must of been awfully boring thenEye Ball

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Wayne,

Yeah, I think you're right. There just weren't that many floor toms to go around. Even into the sixties they offered 3 piece kits for those not as Rock inclined. If you have to reduce the set-up, that's the first piece to go.

I have wondered if the manufacturers considered churning out more floor toms at any point, just to offer as "add-on" kit builders. Now, these drums are increasingly sought after because let's face it: There are distinct signature sounds found in vintage drums Bowing and you can't just "make" an add-on and have it match up sound-wise.

Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 14 years ago

Of course, even the big names like Ludwig and Rogers cataloged kits without floor toms throughout the 60s. I wonder how many kits like that were sold? I started playing in the mid 70s, and by that time the only kits sold without floors were the Japanese imports.

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

From wadsmoe

There are distinct signature sounds found in vintage drums Bowing and you can't just "make" an add-on and have it match up sound-wise.

Actually, with Keller's new vintage series maple and vintage series mahogany shells you can come pretty close.....just get the bearing edges done right and add the appropriate manufacturers hardware....;)

Posted on 14 years ago

I wonder if

* People snap them up to make them into jazz sized bass drums?

*Others like to use two floor toms- so adding onto their kit?

* Are putting mixed kits together from vintage pieces.

I have an extra 1975 Pearl Valencia 14x14 in blue angelhair wrap floor tom

if someone needs a nice 9 ply luan 14x14. It`s shell is in almost new

condition, clean hoops- however I had to put on newer Pearl Target lugs. The original lugs were cracking at the mounting screws and I wouldn`t have been able to gig it with confidence with the originals. I am in Japan so the shipping might be as much as 40-50$ (just a guess). I would ask 45$ for the floor tom and 3 1975 Pearl stock tom legs. See the photo. I also have the matching snare and 12x8 tom if anyone is interested. I`d let all of them go for 90$ as a set plus shipping. See the pics-

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/gkqnk100-img600x450-1242867237fofib.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010027.jpg[/IMG]

Just offering that out there if someone is dyin for a 14x14- I have a bunch- they are quite common here. I have 6, so I can let this one pass to a neighbor.Sumo Dude

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

How about converting old marching drums to floor toms?..They seem to be very inexpensive and they are well made???

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

How about converting old marching drums to floor toms?..They seem to be very inexpensive and they are well made???

You could do that, but generally they aren't as deep as a true floor tom is.....14",16" and 18" marching drums are generally 10"-12" deep and not much more....

Posted on 14 years ago

A nice little 14x12 would be perfect for a jazz kit,in fact dont the drum makers offer that size these days?...My concern would be the snare bed,if there is one.It would have to go,as tuning it for a tom could cause a migrane!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here