Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What's the reason for a TWO throwoffs?

Hi.

I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about selling my very nearly MIB Peavey RadialPro 1000 snare drum in the near future....

My question is related to this very drum...

WHY did certain drums (like the Peavey) use TWO throwoffs instead of a single throwoff w/butt? It turns a 14" diameter drum into a 16" because the throwoffs jut out so much! Was there a technical reason for two throwoffs?

I also think Yamaha (or maybe Pearl) made a snare drum or two with a throwoff at both ends...Arbiter's 12" snare drum uses a double-throwoff, too!

Conjecture, please?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Just think of the second, smaller throwoff as a "trolling" throwoff. It lets you sneak through the musical lilypads without getting tangled in the weeds.

I'm kidding, I have no idea! I think Weckl popularized that in the 80's.

edit: just realized you meant a throwoff on each end. I was referring to the snares with two complete sets of wires and throwoffs. As regards the throwoff on each: I still have no earthly idea!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Of course it might be done for aesthetics in some cases, but I think this is mainly done to overcome a geometry issue. On some shallow (or narrow - like a 12" diameter) drums, the strainer won't drop the snares far enough away from the snare head near the butt. I'm not familiar with the Peavey snare, so I can't comment specifically.

Herb

Posted on 16 years ago

Not sure about the two throws, but I can understand why you'd want some adjustment on the butt side. Makes centering the snares a breeze. In fact, if I had a choice, all of my snares would have adjustable butt plates.

A double throw means you could release the tension with either hand.

Maybe that's the reason?

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Of course WFL made dual throw off snare drums in the late 30'-early 40's. Usually one snare was a 10-strand regular while the other was a set of six silk wound snares. The WFL drums were popular for Dixieland jazz and Ray Bauduc from Bob Crosby's band was their endorser at the time. I have seven of those drums as I love the look and sound of them. Don't really know why you would want dual snares nowadays.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

From wflkurt

Of course WFL made dual throw off snare drums in the late 30'-early 40's. Usually one snare was a 10-strand regular while the other was a set of six silk wound snares. The WFL drums were popular for Dixieland jazz and Ray Bauduc from Bob Crosby's band was their endorser at the time. I have seven of those drums as I love the look and sound of them. Don't really know why you would want dual snares nowadays.

I guess we'll have to get o-lugs to clarify - I thought he meant a throw off on both sides of a snare, or across from each other. Not the same as your beautiful WFL drums...

Herb

Posted on 16 years ago

I mean a throwoff at one end and a throwoff at the other end -not side-by-side or one-over-the-other...one set of snare wires + two throwoffs, in other words. I'll be taking some pics of my drum over the next few days. I'll post them.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here