Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

What's the deal with the Ghost pedals?

As the restoration bug continues to gnaw at me.....

I see Ghost pedals on ebay and am intrigued. It looks like the spring action is provided by ... what are they called? The same type as used in clocks... ? But so many of them have had the foot plate brace altered... the piece that runs from the heel end of the footboard to the main frame structure.

I don't seem to know what any of these pieces are called, but you know what I mean, right?

The Speed King pedal footboard and heel plate are made from "pot metal," and it's pretty soft stuff. Is that the problem with the Ghost?

Posted on 12 years ago

You know, after a short search on these, they sound like a terrific PITA to restore ...

The spring caps sound nearly impossible to remove without a 'special tool,' and even is they come off the springs are likely to explode out of there.

Yikes!

Posted on 12 years ago

Maintenance aside, Ghost pedals are some of the smoothest and solid feeling pedals you can own/play. The one piece footboard is tailor made for heel down guys. (Like me!) Find one in good condition and you've found a great pedal.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

They have coil springs and you don't want to mess with them. These are the reason Ludwig discontinued the pedal too many owners were taking the pedal apart and once they found out the couldn't reassemble it they would return it to Ludwig to have it assembled. Ludwig got tired of this and discontinued the pedal. There is also a rumor that an employee of Ludwig was injured in the face while trying to assemble one. They are however great pedals if you find one that's not worn out and noisy. I love mine.

Posted on 12 years ago

The trick I guess is to find one in good shape.... I'm watching them on ebay, but...

I may stick to the Speed Kings for a while. Now those, I understand!

Posted on 12 years ago

they are in my opinion the best pedal .

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Well, they are an interesting design -- one spring down, one up.... I am intrigued...

Can the spring tension be adjusted?

Posted on 12 years ago

yes they can by a clock wise winding for more tension and same for reverse for less

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Ludwig Ghost pedal are good pedals i have a few 20 of them.The only thing i don't like about them is when you try to restore them..I have parts for them and tools i used to restore the pedals in the 90's for A.V.H. that was his pedal of choice i have to keep 50 of them up and runing at all times..I would say if you don't know what you are doing Don't try to fix them by taking them apart..They are hard to work on and fix thats why many drummers sent them back to Ludwig they could not get the spring back in and tight ete..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Ghost pedal arrived today. I have to say I may join the ranks of the Ghost is my favorite pedal." Remarkably smooth -- very cool feel, with the spring action pulling it up.

I don't have it anywhere near dialed in, but right out of the box, it sure has a special feel.

I know the right spring controls tension down,...the left controls the tension UP? Or the beater position? Or both.

Yes, I did find the http://www.billyrhythm.com/drums/ghost/ info pages!

I know that disassembly definitely NOT recommended. Is it worth trying to get some lubricant into the spring housings? Drill a small hole type of thing?

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here