Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

What's the best way to tune a 70's ludwig acrolite

I have a coated remo weather king on batter side. How should I tune it?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

From drumbum3131

I have a coated remo weather king on batter side. How should I tune it?

What kind of sound are you going for? I have 2 Acro's - one tuned low (low by snare standards) and the other tuned medium. Low gives a good blues sound and medium is better for rock.

Best advice I can give, start low and tune up till you hear what you want. Don't forget that the reso side makes a big difference too.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

I have a remo ambassador reso and a whether king coated on batter. I'm looking for a rock sound.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Start with the reso head and tune it to a medium high pitch. By that I mean, don't crank it to the point where it's uber tight. When you lightly press the center of the head w/your fingers, it should have some give.

Flip the drum over and tune the batter to a medium tension. Again, don't go too crazy with the tension, just get it to the point where it has a nice feel when playing with sticks. You want a good bounce, but you shold also feel the head give when you strike it.

Throw the snares on and see what it sounds like. If you want more crack, bring the batter head tension up a bit and test the sound.

Best way to tune any drum is start low and slowly work up (bottom and top) until you find *that sound*. Generally with snares, the reso head is tuned higher than the batter, but experiment and see what you get.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Man... I want to know how Drumbum dodged the first standard reply to that question .. "With a drum key!"Bump

My next project is to finally get to work on my '64 Acro that has been sitting patiently on the shelf waiting it's turn..

So I will follow this thread with more than a casual interest... drum key in hand. ;)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here