Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

What's the best way to straighten an Atlas Snare Stand?

I've got an Atlas snare stand. Setting the basket tilt adjuster so it tilts torwards you or away from you, the drum still is lower on the right side. The basket or tube for the basket must be bent although I can't see where.

What is the best way to fix this problem or should I leave it alone? I like to have my snare either totally level or with the rim tilted up a little torwards me, but not to the right or left.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I have two of these and have had some others and they often have this problem.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

I think it's a universal "problem (or not) with Atlas stands. Personally, it's not a problem for me because I play the snare drum tilted away from my body and to the right. It isn't due to anything being bent. It has to do with the orientation of the ratcheted teeth on the adjuster not being in perfect alignment for that application.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I think it's a universal "problem (or not) with Atlas stands. Personally, it's not a problem for me because I play the snare drum tilted away from my body and to the right. It isn't due to anything being bent. It has to do with the orientation of the ratcheted teeth on the adjuster not being in perfect alignment for that application.

Hi 'Lugs!

1. This one is pretty old, there's no rachet teeth.

2. The way I have it oriented, the tilter tilts forward or backward, not to the left or right, so it's not the tilter. I'm thinking the only part that might be adjusted with a vice and perhaps a little force is the flat piece under the basket and right above the tube. Of course if it's pock metal it will break, which is why I ask,

Has anyone sucessfully fixed this problem?

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Well problem solved. I now have a basket that can be fully level or tilted perfectly in one of the two directions allowed by losening the titler. OK, here's what I did to rectify the problem...it was so simple to fix.

First, I pulled out the upper tube of the stand from the base. Next, the basket is attached at the tilter by two T handles which go onto two bolts and a washer for each. Remove the T handles, bolts and washers and you can now hold the upper tube minus the basket in your hand. At the top of the tube is the flat piece with the holes for the bolts I just mentioned. Looking at the flat piece at the top of the tube from the side you can see which way it is leaning torwards. I simply put it in a vice up side down and very gingerly moved the tube a bit to the opposite direction, and then turned it right aside up again and checked to make sure it was now straight.

Then I reassembled the basket onto the tilter and put the upper tube back in the base.

I put my black beauty in the basket and can completely level the drum or using the tilt to go forward or back or turn the tube 90 degrees and move it side to side. No more feeling the drum was tilting in two directions at once like it was in a marching sling.

Remember, the snare stand I describe is the Atlas with out the locking "geared" halfs as found on later tilters.

So I fixed my own problem...

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

and that is that!Group Hug

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here