Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

whats everyones drum skin preferances?

hi ,

I wondered what skin preferaces people like to use ?

I play a ludwig with remo weatherking coated ambassadors on top and thin clears on bottom .

Has anyone any other configurations they would like to share?

cheers

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike,

I haven't changed heads on my new to me 1969 ludwigs yet but they came with coated ambs on the top and clear amb resos.

On my gretsch kit I've found my best head set up to be Remo Renaissance Emporers on the top and regular coated ambs on the bottom. I think this set up provides a little deadening to the Gretsch ring but just ever so subtle. I love how they ring but I like them to be focused when I strike them. This head set up lets them ring yet be focused at impact.

I've ordered a set of renaissance ambs for the luddies but they haven't come in yet.

Good luck!

Posted on 17 years ago

Evans EC'2 on top and G1's on bottom and EMAD 2 on the kicks on all three of my kits. On most of my snares I use the Evans ST dry heads.

Posted on 17 years ago

Although it varies depending on the kit and what I'm using the drums for, my usual jazz setup would be Aquarian Modern Vintage (medium) batters with clear Ambassadors as resonants on the 8"x12" and 14"x14" toms.

For the 18" bass drum, a clear Remo powerstroke 3 batter and a Modern Vintage front head (with the attached felt strip).

Many of my snare drums have an Aquarian Jack DeJohnette batter and an Ambassador Hazy snare side head.

This just works better from me than running coated Ambassadors everywhere as some jazz purists swear by.

-
o---? ?Mark Polis ?b.d.bop@comcast.net ??---o
"You play because you must." _______ Tony Williams
-
Posted on 17 years ago

My favorite sound so far (on vintage kits) is Remo Coated Ambassadors top and bottom on the toms, Remo Coated Ambassador top and Remo standard snare side on the snare. Kicks get the Aquarian Super Kick II batter and front reso. The toms are open but focused, the snare is snappy and the kick thunders (not the dead thwap of a pillow stuffed kick)

For muffling, I keep moon gels handy but don't always use them. In some rooms, the toms sound great as they are, while in others, they need a bit of taming.

I switch between one or two gels on the snare depending on the room. One is usually enough, but in a really LIVE room, 2 can help focus the snare sound.

I play mostly blues/rock/funk, with the rock being more bluesy (not heavy metal or anything) so a little ring in the drums is a good thing. No more pinstripes for me... ever!! :)

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here