Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

What you think?

I found this on ebay Australia. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be, and roughly price wise is it a bit "rich" or not?

Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-snare-drum-german-LOOOKKK-/280711935278?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item415bbc352e#ht_500wt_1156

Posted on 13 years ago

The hardware looks like a Roxy ( Troma) snare I have. I bought mine for the cool wrap; the drum quality is low. I paid about $50US total. I think $200AU is crazy. larry

Soap Box

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a bit steep too, but wanted to see what others thought in case its something I wasn't aware of.

Posted on 13 years ago

Price is high. This is a Tromsa. They made a lot of these 4 x 14 12 staggered lug snare drums. I suppose you could call them a piccolo -----they did make shallower ones though. Tromsa drums are made from 3 ply poplar with an either poplar or European Beech patch over the seam and 2 ply European Beech rerings. The 6 lug per side drums were the mid-quality ones and IF IN PERFECT SHAPE and all original(they all had a very nice internal muffler) should be worth up to 150.00.The 8 lug per side and 10 lug per side parallel drop drums are much rarer and are right up there with anything and worth considerably more. The shells on the 6 per side drums are sensitive to overtensioning and over time can warp around the lug tips. As well the lug tips can split.Both conditions are easily repairable,the latter takes a little more skill. There are really no other issues and when fitted with the correct heads,tuned properly and preferably with the original ( carbon steel) snare wires they are a bright snappy drum with very fine response, far superior to almost any Japanese drum of the 60's or even the 70's for that matter. Quite nicely, they have the typical German incurving hoops and these ones bear quite a lot of resemblance to sticksavers. They are often compared to Sonor but the few 6 lug per side old Sonor drums that I have had in my hands had more stability issues in the shell than Tromsa, which had a tried and true design that lasted in the marketplace for almost 30 years, virtually unchanged and another 15 more with minor changes.( I think, this design first showed up in the late 40's) I don't think they ever made a parallel drop drum in this dimension, such as Trixon,Sonor and Trowa/Tacton did -----that would have been really nice. Wait it out ,perhaps the seller will drop a lot over time but if you intend to pursue it----get the seller to examine the 12 lug tips with a lens ---those cracks begin very small , invisible to the naked eye and then creep over time. If the lugs have cracks----i would pass, unless you get the drum pretty cheap and intend to repair them.(I use a high wattage soldering iron,paste flux and a high tensile silver solder that chases the flux into the crack-----its probably better than new(they are stamped brass; its very brittle)

Posted on 13 years ago

Wow, thanks for all that info Calfskin!

Ill probably not pursue the drum, there's other things Im wanting to get a lot more. I just saw it and thought I'd see if anyone could shed some light on it for me. Which you have in a big way!

Cheers mate/

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here