Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

What Would Be Your Choice?

I've got an opportunity to purchase one of two drums to add to my personal vintage snare drum collection. I wouldn't be getting either one at any type of "bargain price" I can assure you, but both are in near mint condition with all original components. The prices being asked are also quite comparable.

Sooooooo..............let's say that YOU are the one making the choice. You'll either be picking up an original 1960s CAMCO black diamond pearl snare with tuxedo lugs or an original 1960s GRETSCH round badge champagne sparkle pearl snare with a Micro-Sensitive strainer.

I've attached a pic of the Gretsch snare. Unfortunately, the only one I've got for the Camco is too large to attach.

Which is it going to be and why?

THANKS in advance for all feedback!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I'd take the camco. It won't sound like a cardboard box! The gretsch is really collectible, but rarely sound good.

Posted on 15 years ago

Well.... nice choice to have to make!! If you pass on one them which of them (or like model) is more likely to come around again sometime....??

Seems like (just guessing now) the Gretsch is more rare..

Bottomline... you already got a lot of nice drums to play... so I might grab the one that is rarer (more rare).

two cents.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Good points. I think the Gretsch is the way to go, even though it likely won't sound as good as the Camco drum. It sure looks clean and nice!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I'd do the opposite, personally. I think the old Camco is the all around cooler drum...I would love to have one of those.

And, I mean...you have the chance at 2 rare vintage drums...so, you take the better instrument, no ? And, to boot...in this instance the better instrument is the Camco.....

I say, a clean old Gretsch will come around again, someday...if you want a snare to look at, y'know ?

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hard choice for sure ... a round badge Gretsch ain't exactly chopped liver and a Camco snare is... well a Camco snare.

What the heck OldSchool... it's a win win whatever choice you make. :D

Posted on 15 years ago

If you're looking for a choice, I would also fall on the Camco side although the Gretsch is a beautiful drum in a great finish. I agree with the sound points already made but it seems like this will be for collecting...not playing so both will be great choices for sure.

Good Luck.

Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS for all the feedback thus far.

Right now I'm leading toward the BDP Camco. As I mentioned in my original post, the Camco snare's got the Tuxedo lugs in lieu of the Aristocrats. Would this indicate different periods of production or different models of Camcos?

Posted on 15 years ago

What I do not understand is why is there such a great demand for Gretsch snares if they sound like card board boxes. The vintage snares I own are all meant to be played on occassion.

Posted on 15 years ago

JohnG... I've been wondering that my self.

And.... when you look at Gretsch history, seems like a few decent players have managed to get an acceptable sound out of them over the years. :D

NOTE: Anybody who wants to get rid of their nasty Ol'Gretsch snares may send them to me.. I got a lousy ear and a big basement so send as many as you want.LoLoLoLo

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here