Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

What Would Be The "correct" Muffler

I'm looking to install the original configuration muffler on a Ludwig Buddy Rich Super Classic snare drum with a date stamp from 1959. It's got the transition badge and the WFL Classic Strainer.

I'm not sure which muffler was mounted on the shell of this one when it came out of the factory. Could any of you "experts" out there help me out?

Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Did you troll eFlay's completed listings...or maybe some online vintage shops ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Geeez...I have been scouring website images of this model drum...and every pic I hit has the drum muffler out of view in the pic.

here's a though...this guy has a hecka vintage Ludwig snare collection...we have transacted on eBay before, he's a good guy and I doubt he'd mind a Q:

http://www.frankie-banali.com/homepage.html[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

It should be a small dial knob muffler, either chrome or nickel depending on the other hardware, with the mounting screw underneath the dial knob. Much like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/60S-LUDWIG-MUFFLER-TONE-CONTROL-W-SMALLER-3-4-KNOB_W0QQitemZ250366302476

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

JAYE/MLVIBES:

THANKS to both of you for your input. I appreciate your time!

I thought that was the muffler but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't one of Ludwig's "baseball bats."

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That is totally NOT the answer/part I would have assumed.....[/COLOR]Hurting

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I was goin' baseball bat all the way.

LOL ! I also couldn't find ONE image of such a snare showing the muffler knob.CryBaby

Posted on 15 years ago

That drum was too early for the "baseball bat" muffler. I think I have what you seek... literally and in pictures! :-D Here's a couple of my 1955 WFL Buddy Rich Classic snare drum in WMP... and, it did come with that exact muffler. I don't have a bottom view, but you can easily see the "knob" right above the extended butt. Interestingly, mufflers/tone controls were a lot of times added AFTER the drum left the factory, which is why in a lot of cases there is no "standard" installation point on a lot of these 50's era WFL snare drums. Interesting!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Tommyp: The honor is all mine, as usual. THANKS for taking the time to provide your input. Attached is a pic of the drum I'll be getting.

I'm going to need to add the following parts to complete the drum: throw knob, snare side rim, muffler assembly, and snare wires.

Any advise on where I might be able to find the knob at a reasonable price? Also, any suggestions regarding the missing rim and snare wires would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

ALL:

After taking another look at ALL of the feedback that was received (thank you all, BTW!), I'm still not clear on this issue. Here's why:

TommyP was kind enough to send a pic from his 1955 WMP Super Classic which features the keystone badge, dial-tone muffler and an "elevated" (if that's the correct term) snare butt. However, the drum I'll be getting that I'm trying to determine the correct muffler for, has the transitional keystone badge, is date-stamped June 1959 and DOES NOT have the same snare butt hardware.

I currently own a WMP Super Classic with the transitional keystone badge, date stamp of June 1960, white baseball bat muffler and "simple" WFL-engraved snare butt - identical to the one that's mounted on the drum I'm purchasing. Could it be because the snare bed on the 1959 - 1960 Super Classics is different from that on TommyP's 1955 Super Classic in some way? Was the snare butt changed between 1955 (TommyP's) and 1959-1960(mine)?

I've attached a few pics of my WMP drum. Please note the baseball bat muffler and simple snare butt.

Perhaps the "old-age thing" is kicking in again! Help me out....SOMEBODY!Help2

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here