Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

What to use to remove a haze or film on wrap?

I am trying to figure out how to carefully remove a hazy film area that is on the finish of the Mardi Gras bass drum that I have. This is only present on the top of the drum in the area around the script logo plate. I have tried several different cleaners / polishes, but it is still present. It sort of looks cloudy, where the rest of the drum seems to shine. Any ideas that won't risk damaging the finish?

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi. Have you tried Novus polish? Also the haze/stain could possibly be down in wrap and may not be able to be removed. Good Luck!

Posted on 17 years ago

Jayarejay,

No I have not tried it but have heard about it and was told to use it. I went to a local ACO store but they didn't carry the stuff. Would Home Depot?

I tried to clean off the haze with some other things that might not have been a good idea - I sure hope it is not down in the wrap. When I initially applied these other cleaners/ polishes or water the wrap looks great - then in seconds are the fluid dries the haze returns.

But I am going to try to find this Novus and give it a try - is it a polish that I would find maybe in the Car Waxes or is it a Household Polish / Cleaner?

Thanks Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Once I was polishing the chrome on my black Rogers and was using a toothbrush on the chrome Rogers script badge to remove a little rust. When I cleaned off the chrome polish I realized the polish had enough abrasive to mar the plastic finish. I hope that isn't what you're dealing with.

Posted on 17 years ago

Mainedrummer,

You know that is entirely possible that the area around the script badge has some fine scratches. Hopefully that can be buffed out or something. So I am going to put it in some one's care that knows what they are doing - that is not me!

I tried a couple of things and it seemed to make it worse, (the haze) - so I packed up the drum and sent it to Jack Lawton. I figured that I did not want to risk anything more on my DIY attempts. I ordered the Novus, but never got it before I decided to send the drum to Jack.

Thanks for the follow up - I do think that could be the case here. The rest of the drum looked fine. I will try to put up a picture.

Thanks Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

if it is from an abrasive a little spray of clear coat should bring the shine right back,you must be dilligent and not over use it but i am using 1500 grit sand paper on a WMP shell now and it leavesit hazy looking but when you put a coat of cleat krylon on it is back to a great shine .. just be carefull and patient..

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

if it is from an abrasive a little spray of clear coat should bring the shine right back,you must be dilligent and not over use it but i am using 1500 grit sand paper on a WMP shell now and it leavesit hazy looking but when you put a coat of cleat krylon on it is back to a great shine .. just be carefull and patient..

I'd like to just throw my opinion into the mix here. My thinking as far as valuable drums would go, that a clear coat applied to the wrap would be the very last way I would go at all costs. This, IMO, would ruin any vintage value of the drum, and yes while it might look shiny, it can easily be spotted.

I'm doubting very much Jack Lawton will take this approach, and more likely what Jack will do, (Of course I'm taking a highly educated guess here) will be to remove all hardware, including carefully removing the Badge Grommet-Badge, buffing the drum with an electric Polisher-Buffer with progressively finer, and finer Polishing Products (Compounds-Glazes) a final sealer type of Wax, or newer Poly products, and then re-apply the Lugs, and factory Badges with a new-fresh Badge Grommet of the required type.

I may be incorrect about certain methods of Jack Lawton, and of course, shouldn't put words in Jack's mouth, but these are the methods-approach I would take myself, or wanted taken with a valuable vintage Wrap.

Mark

Posted on 17 years ago

MarkD, You actually reminded me to post an after picture, since I have gotten the bass drum back from Jack Lawton...it is beautiful!

Posted on 17 years ago

hello gentleman,

I'm seeing Jack Lawton's name mentioned quite a bit and with high regard in this forum.

Does he re-store vintage drums ? If so, please post the contact information - if you would.

thank you so much.

Posted on 17 years ago

Here's a link.....give him a ring. He's very knowledgable and generous with that knowledge.

http://www.lawtondrum.com/

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here