Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

What to use to attach snare to strainer?

I had the snare on my old Ludwig & Ludwig snare drum attached with string that I put on in 1970. The string has finally broken. Is there a recommended string to use to attach the snare to the strainer?

Thanks

Posted on 9 years ago

At any drum store they sell it

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 9 years ago
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

String from plastic mini blinds...very strong.

Posted on 9 years ago

another option if you have slotted ends is the Grosgrain ribbon now being shipped out with many new drums... Excuse the pun, but there are a few "threads" here dealing with grosgrain...

And here's from Wikipedia..

"Polyester grosgrain in a 5/8-inch width can be used as the tensioning material attaching the snares of a snare drum to the throw-off mechanism, with the ribbing providing good insurance against slippage. Some like to use it in an attempt to lessen sympathetic snare buzz from external sources as it will hold the tab ends of the snares closer to the head than string and it will provide more dampening than mylar straps."

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks. I got a new snare and string at Guitar Center. I have the ribbon on the butt and the string on the strainer.

Posted on 9 years ago

You know how sometimes meat is wrapped in free string. Well, here they use string to tie up chicken legs or on a nice shoulder of lamb or a veal chop or London Broil perhaps. Now you don't want to over cook it and you might want to glaze that pan afterwards. Just be sure to slow roast that thing and while that's on you could be preparing those vegetables. You can use that string afterwards, but I'd recommend removing the string beforehand and using it on your snare. I use that stuff. If it's strong enough to tie a chicken then obviously it's strong enough. Butcher's choice, you can't go wrong.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here