Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

What to do?

Hi, all... I recently acquired a 1920's/1930's Super Ludwig, natural finish,6 1/2 x 15.

That's right, 15" ! Supposedly a gift to this late drummer from Ray Mckinley...

Anyway, the whole "super" assembly was changed out for an easier to use (?) simple throw off/butt assembly. It is older, nickle plated, but I'm not sure what brand... I'll try and post pics later this evening...

My questions are: should I actively try to replace the throwoff with the correct part? I would suppose that this would increase the value? Does this drum have any value as is? What are the odds of finding the correct throwoff assembly?

Incidently, i completely disassembled and thoroughly and safely cleaned the drum according to the recommendations found here, and I must say, It looks great! It looks old, but not beat up, with that great patina fo an antique!

Any ideas about heads? I was thinking Earthtone...

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

p.h.a.t.
Posted on 18 years ago

After somemore research, the throw-off appears tp be a Pioneer... if that matters...

p.h.a.t.
Posted on 18 years ago

I would clean it up and leave it as is. Try some diffeernt heads and enjoy it. 15" snare drums have a much lower value than the 14" ones. THe extra holes also devalue the drum quite a bit. The cost of finding a "Super" set up (especially that center bar for a 15") would be costly...probably more than it would increase the value of the drum. I bet it would sound nice with a coated Remo ambassador on top, and an ambassador snare side. The nickel hardware will clean up nicely with Cape Cod polishing cloths.

Posted on 18 years ago

Yep, that mechanism won't be easy (not impossible, but hard) to find....you can have the center rod made if you know a good machinist...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

I think I'll put it all back together the way it is and enjoy it while looking for the parts... you never know!

p.h.a.t.
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here