Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

What to do

Hello All! Any ideas on what to do with this? Powder coat, spray paint,?

Cheers,Ed

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Ed, if your keeping the drum for yourself, there are ways to clean most of this off it won't look factory ,but is cheaper than the other two alternatives you've mentioned, this is a steel shell model not much on resale,but a great sounding snare drum!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

First thing first-keep the idea of steel wool far, far away. Never use it on drums, even when they look like this. That said, look down. V

1) Strip the drum to the bare shell, take each and every component down to part and pieces, keep them close to each other, Oh, go get a 6 pack. You may need it, or maybe just want it, I dunno...

2) Clean the shell first with soap and water, get as much crud off as possible, then post another shot of the shell. We all use different methods, so be prepared to be overwhelmed by suggestions.

I don't use aluminum foil. I use rubbing compound and a detailing brush. I thin the compound very slightly with mineral oil, or more commonly known as baby oil. It allows me to work the paste longer. Anyway, get it down to bare parts and get ready for a long day.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, it will take a lot of scrubbing and really never be all that great.The rust is all over.

Most of the drums I own, I intend to keep.I have another Slingy just like this one ,a little newer,in very good shape. I haven't cleaned it yet.

I thought I wold try something different. Never really painted before.

My wife knows a powder coating person. Maybe I will see how much.

Otherwise I will spray paint it myself maybe?

Thanks,Cheers,Ed

Posted on 14 years ago

I had a Supra shell powder coated for $25. I shopped around, and most quotes were $100 or more. Small hot rod/ motorcycle guys seem to be cheapest. I also had a drum like yours I bought for $80 and sold for $100.

Posted on 14 years ago

Take a look at the before and after pics of this snare I cleaned up a few days ago. On the rims I used 0000 steel wool (on the rims only!) to clean the rust off, then sprayed a rag with WD-40 to wipe them down to leave a protective coat. On the shell and strainer I just used a metal polish called Mr. Metal. That's it. (Oh, and the t-rods got soaked for a day in Dawn and warm water and scrubbed with a scotchbrite pad.)

Good luck with that Slingerland. It's going to be an awesome drum, but just looking at it makes my fingers sore.

(I've posted more on my drum cleaning/restoration methods here:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=12337&page=2)

Posted on 14 years ago

If I get it as good as yours,Cn769, I would be very happy! I think I need a weekend for this one. Got some others to do first.

Thanks for the ideas,Cheers,Ed

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here