Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

What to do with snare beds?

I have made a similar on my thread pertaining to the clam shell strainer, but felt I would draw more input if I started a new thread...plus it is a separate topic. Anyway...

I recently purchased a 1959 Slingerland set with a matching Radio King snare in Light Blue Pearl finish. I was replacing heads on the snare and noticed that the snare beds are slightly out of rotation with the strainer. In this I mean that, from the factory, the holes drilled for the shell and strainer were not evenly alligned with the beds. I do not want to sacrifice any more value than I have to but I want to fix the problem if need be.

I first want to try the snares, as the beds are, to see how well they respond. If this is not satisfactory, is their a well respected restorer that might be able to recut the beds? I would estimate them to need about 1/2"-3/4" of an extention. Also, would it be recommended to simply extend the beds or recut the edges and beds so that they remain the factory width.

Thank you for any advice!

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 15 years ago

Oops! I just realized that this should probably go in the restoration forum...

Posted on 15 years ago

can you post pics of inside of drum? Are you sure this is not a newer shell that someone simply put RK hardware on. I have seen that happen. But I have also purchased Slingerland drums over the years that were, at times, put together on the drumk shift. I had a TDR that, when taken apart, looked like a "student drum project from the school for the IQ challenged." They replaced the shell and my teacher did the drilling, and bedding.

Posted on 15 years ago

Unfortunately I am back at school for the week and can not take pictures.* I can tell you that the shell appears to be vintage in look and smell, haha.* By "look" I mean that the maple has the more golden aged appearance.* The construction seems comparable to what I have seen in Radio King shells as well.* I think a Vaughncraft shell would look more "perfect".* It also came with a matching tom and bass in similar condition....I have a floor tom too, but it has more fading to the wrap and is a year newer.Thank you for the thoughts!* I have emailed three restorers today and hope to here from them this week about recommendations and prices.*

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here