Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What species wood?

I've got this MIJ set listed and someone has asked about the wood type.

I don't know if all MIJ were the same, but these shells are thin with re-rings. What species is the wood?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Drumset-Werco-drum-set-snare-MIJ-Dark-Blue-50-pictures-/170790761988?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item27c3ec3604#ht_1645wt_1293

They fetched an early bid, which is always nice. Let the bidding war commence!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 12 years ago

They use young fast growing mangrove trees from the Philippienes more comonly known as firewood !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Also known as luan...Asian mahogany...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Inner bass drum ply looks different...

Posted on 12 years ago

So the correct answer is Mahogany. Thanks for that. As for differences in the shells: They are graduated thickness, just like today's high-dollar Gretsch!

Thanks

Jim

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 12 years ago

Found this, Luan:

the light yellow to reddish-brown or brown wood of any of various tropical southeast Asian trees (as of the genera Shorea and Parashorea) which sometimes enters commerce as Philippine mahogany.

Posted on 12 years ago

looks like luan,I do see some color variation,less red on the Ft,almost looks like it could be a different wood from the pics.

I had a Pearl from the same era,and it had a middle reinf hoop on the kick,but not on the FT like yours,but my FT had seven lugs per side and it looks like yours does too.

Nice MIJ kit there,looks like the edges are done well,and looks nicely finished overall.

Posted on 12 years ago

Um... Tree wood? Maybe?

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

It is NOT "mahogany"! It IS luan.

Luan is NOT mahogany! It is "nicknamed" that sometimes, because it is roughly the same COLOR as some mahogany woods. Structurally, it is completely different.

The reinforcement rings on the shells appears to be some other type of wood -possibly maple....possibly birch....or ....not sure

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 12 years ago

That's an excellent eBay ad, and the photos are very nicely presented. The wood inside those shells looks quite well finished. I'm impressed.

If you move beyond the remarks of the "Asian Firewood" camp, there are quite a few wood species used in MIJ drums. Some are called Mahogany because they are dark in color. But most of those woods don't have the same structural and sonic properties as either African Mahogany, or New World Mahogany. Luan itself is a catch-all multi species term.

I haven't had hands on lots of Luan drums (I currently own just one), but in general they would tend to have more splintering and a rough look to them if the inner ply were Luan. I'd say whoever produced those did a quality job.

So I don't think you can give a definitive answer on precisely what species they are, although it looks like the re-rings are a different wood, and so is that snare, at least on the inner ply. And is species the most important thing if they sound as good as they look? How you answer such a question depends on what the person asking it actually knows. Did somebody advise them "only get Maple shells"? or "you want Birch shells they are pre EQed"?, or are they a more sophisticated buyer with an interest in MIJ drums?

Good luck with the sale.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here