Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

what size screws on pearl vintage tom lugs

i,m removing some of the tom lugs from my vintage pearl floor tom to polish and those little screws are not coming off easy as planned so the philips heads are stripping i thought they were metric but i guess in 1975 when they were made in japan for the us market they must have used sae standard i did find some 6/32 x 5/8 long philips /slot heads combo at home depot but i,m not shure if they are the right ones so i didnot buy them untill i find the exact size

Posted on 9 years ago

Let me see a pic of the screw heads and the lugs.

Pearl used metric 4mm 7 pitch and also a custom thread size not available.

I have some Pearl lugs that had the custom size threads.

I searched a long time for screws and never found them.

So I just re-tapped them to 8-32.

AFAIK Pearl never used an SAE screw for lugs.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

From green glass drum

Let me see a pic of the screw heads and the lugs.Pearl used metric 4mm 7 pitch and also a custom thread size not available.I have some Pearl lugs that had the custom size threads.I searched a long time for screws and never found them.So I just re-tapped them to 8-32.AFAIK Pearl never used an SAE screw for lugs.

i recently found out they are m4x.75 and very hard to find but there are plenty of m4x.7 pitch but i have to tap will this weaken the lug boss or the lug itself the sales guy at metric screw in wakefield said probably not but told me to keep looking if not he has all i want in .7 pitch and the tap what do you think ??

Posted on 9 years ago

You can go up to 8-32 and the boss wall is still strong.

I have done it many times.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

If the lugs take metric T-rods like some of the MIJ sets then it can be a nightmare. You'll have to source vintage metric(?) T-rods. Alternatively you could pop modern pods(?) inside the lugs so that it'll take modern tension rods.

Sorry I don't know the correct terminology, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. As for lengths of rods well I'd have to see the shell to have a better idea.

Posted on 9 years ago

I misunderstood, you were talking about the screws for the lugs. Thankfully I've never had to replace them. I have removed them before, but never gave much notice to the type of screw they were. This was on an old vintage Pearl MIJ set.

Posted on 9 years ago

From green glass drum

You can go up to 8-32 and the boss wall is still strong.I have done it many times.

i talked to the machinist at work and he thought maybe a forming tap of the .7 rather than regular tap this way you have more metal left when you reach the bottom of the lug?? but he also thought of the 8/32 which would give a clean cut either way at least i can get both size screws 8/32 and 4m x .7

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here